U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:38 PM

44 posts, read 13,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Many third world African nations are lacking " government" and have just tribes.

How is that working out for them ?

Not very well !

Be careful what you wish for !
And every tribe has a government.

People can govern themselves. I have lived in many small towns and farming communities where there was no government. Everybody got along fine. Picture 200 people getting along, doing their own thing and not harming other people. Now magnify that by millions. We were able to police ourselves (if Jeff got into a fight with Bob, we broke it up and helped them work through the issues. No cops needed. No judges to fine or jail Jeff or Bob either. No lost jobs because of missed work for going to jail. No expensive lawyers.)

It is natural for most people to want to work together. The average human being is not a thief or murderer. They just want to live peacefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,157,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck The Elder View Post
And every tribe has a government.

People can govern themselves. I have lived in many small towns and farming communities where there was no government. Everybody got along fine. Picture 200 people getting along, doing their own thing and not harming other people. Now magnify that by millions. We were able to police ourselves (if Jeff got into a fight with Bob, we broke it up and helped them work through the issues. No cops needed. No judges to fine or jail Jeff or Bob either. No lost jobs because of missed work for going to jail. No expensive lawyers.)

It is natural for most people to want to work together. The average human being is not a thief or murderer. They just want to live peacefully.

......."where there was no government "..

No roads ?
No taxes?
No fire departments ?

Old 10-28-2016, 03:25 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,169,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Perhaps my past has made me less sensitive to all that is going on; for an American, I KNOW that terrorism did not start on 9/11.
I remember flying in the 1970's at the height of the "air hijackings" and getting an especially "lovely" and thorough pat-down (behind a curtain) before boarding a plane in West Berlin. It wasn't fun, but other than the pat-down, the rest of the flying experience was fine.

The huge difference is that in those days the concern was simply hijackings, not mass murder by terrorists trained to fly here in the U. S. (some said, "oh I don't need to learn how to land the plane", and were not reported for that suspicious activity), air explosions, surface-to-air rockets, lithium battery explosions, angry passengers stressed out even before the plane leaves the tarmac.

9/11 did change things very significantly, and one of the worst things has been the huge ramp-up of security forces of all types, with such fear in the populace that many poorly educated and angry "law enforcers" have replaced the wonderful, helpful officers of yesteryear. Sure, there are still some good trained law enforcement officers around, but from what I have seen, they are in the minority now. The truthful ones will might admit that they have to work alongside incompetent, angry fearful officers.

The sheer numbers of airport screeners (theater), officers everywhere, etc. that are supposedly needed has forced agencies to hire whatever they can get, and many of those that are hired are getting people killed, white and black, young and old. They use deadly force when nothing near that is indicated. Many officers pounce on individuals like they are part of a prison gang, pounding on people as if it is their god-given right to do so.

Everyone is jumpy and our overly-long election cycle has everyone exhausted, regardless of one's position (and let's not make this political).

Old 10-28-2016, 06:45 PM

1,533 posts, read 945,121 times
Quote:
The huge difference is that in those days the concern was simply hijackings, not mass murder by terrorists trained to fly here in the U. S. (some said, "oh I don't need to learn how to land the plane", and were not reported for that suspicious activity), air explosions, surface-to-air rockets, lithium battery explosions, angry passengers stressed out even before the plane leaves the tarmac.
Anyone know why passengers are more stressed out now compared to the aforementioned 70s (other than TSA security)? I don't fly a whole lot.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:15 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,257,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Anyone know why passengers are more stressed out now compared to the aforementioned 70s (other than TSA security)? I don't fly a whole lot.
Personally, I don't see this. I think people are about the same. There will always be some who are stressed out, but most people are friendly and easy to travel with. And I think most have adjusted to the TSA routine. It is just part of the modern reality. I just flew across the country, and although some of the TSA folks were rather taciturn, some of them were quite friendly.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:16 PM

5,688 posts, read 6,473,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I think quite a bit of stress is created by the fact that there is much more carry on luggage than back in the 70's. We have to wait while other passengers try to stuff their big bags in the overhead bins, so we are standing in the aisle sometimes a long time before reaching our seats. Same for departing the plane at our destination. And if it has been a long flight, we are tired and ready to be off that plane, so some people do get cranky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning