U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 03:37 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,416,956 times

Advertisements

for me anyway. This is the saddest forum on city-data and my heart truly goes out to all of you. If you're posting about someone on here, it's your way of coping with losing someone you truly loved--no one comes on here posting about the death of someone they didn't have some depth of feeling for.

Me? Well I lost my mother and grandmother a couple of years ago and have very little family left--I have my girls, my brother, and my aunt. Now, me and my aunt have often had a relationship ranging from indifferent to stormy, though normally we could go along to get along at family functions. Recently however, we've begun to talk more and to genuinely care about each other and I went to visit her this summer and I plan to go again soon. It's difficult for her to get out and she's become afraid of driving so I need to be the one to visit, but I'm actually looking forward to my next visit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it may help some of you in your grief to talk to some folks in your life that you've not always gotten along with--one or both of you may have changed enough that now you can be friends. Just a thought. I've got to say that I'm quite happy about my new relationship with my aunt--she still gets on my nerves a little but I'm better able to tolerate that feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,152,571 times
So glad you've found a new way to work thru your grief... Yes even years later they remain in our hearts don't they?And it deserves to be shared with others.

Thank you for sharing that life wisdom. Sure wish more folks could grasp what you are doing... It's growing thru compassion.

I have stopped holding old grudges with relatives and started holding their hands thru some very hard times.

My blessings to you and yours...

Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
That's so nice to hear. Is this mom's sister?

Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,251,370 times
Although we often think of grief as all bad, I believe that there is some blessing in it. We are changed somehow, and through grief, we discover who we are, what is important, and we see more clearly the suffering of others and feel kinship and compassion for them.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's so nice to hear. Is this mom's sister?
Yes, and I have learned so much about their childhood and some of the terrible things they went through. They had a sister who got run over by a truck when she was 8 and getting off the school bus and this aunt reached out and tried to grab her but came away with only her jacket. She has blamed herself for years and feels her mother blamed her as well, which poisoned their relationship and made my aunt bitter. I was a favorite of my grandmother and mainly I think because I resembled her deceased daughter and that may have contributed to the hard feelings between my aunt and me.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Although we often think of grief as all bad, I believe that there is some blessing in it. We are changed somehow, and through grief, we discover who we are, what is important, and we see more clearly the suffering of others and feel kinship and compassion for them.
Yes I have come to see that there is great purpose in grief.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:41 PM

8,219 posts, read 8,504,500 times
Lovely. Yes, relationships often change - especially if a person tries to be open-minded and/or open-hearted.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, and I have learned so much about their childhood and some of the terrible things they went through. They had a sister who got run over by a truck when she was 8 and getting off the school bus and this aunt reached out and tried to grab her but came away with only her jacket. She has blamed herself for years and feels her mother blamed her as well, which poisoned their relationship and made my aunt bitter. I was a favorite of my grandmother and mainly I think because I resembled her deceased daughter and that may have contributed to the hard feelings between my aunt and me.
My mother had to tell me that I was nana's favorite. I think it was because I looked like my dad, her first child. Our temperament was very similar, too. We were both quiet kids, and the other three got into trouble. That may have had something to do with the fact that my one aunt (dad's baby sister) didn't like me or my siblings. That, and dad or mom would drop us off or send us to her place to help around the house, run errands, keep her company. Little sister or the other son never did that. There's a lot to the story, but I'm the only one who knows or cares. They're all long gone.

Again, I'm glad that you are building a relationship with your aunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or