U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.63%
Lover 16 12.21%
Family 105 80.15%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 PM

13,259 posts, read 4,228,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
My mom, she passed away when I was a child. 1970. I barely remember when she wasn't sick.
For years I blocked out what I was missing. There isn't enough time to make the list. I missed a lot.
Now as a 50+ years old, I break down often after friends talk about going somewhere with their mom.

Recently a friend lost her 30 year old daughter to cancer. She left behind a 2 year old daughter.
Told my friend I will have a special connection with that child.

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their stories. Its very healing just reading them.
I am 55 and my mom is still going but OMG.

I didn't take it too bad when pop died but mom dying just aint the same thing, I don't think. I am going to freak, I know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:01 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
A good mom is a very special kind of love. There will never be another like it.
We heard their heartbeat from the inside.

My SIL mother stood up for her like I have never seen in my life. Heck I miss her mother just cause I no longer get to witness this special bond. My SIL went to work as a real estate agent to put her mother in the best care facility money could buy. Never worked a day in her life and became a top agent in her city. So she could write a $8700.00 check every month for 11 years so her mom would have the best. That is love!

Old 08-26-2016, 12:22 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,959,034 times
My nephew, so I could try to talk him out of it. Or at least steal the gun.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:

My SIL mother stood up for her like I have never seen in my life. Heck I miss her mother just cause I no longer get to witness this special bond. My SIL went to work as a real estate agent to put her mother in the best care facility money could buy. Never worked a day in her life and became a top agent in her city. So she could write a $8700.00 check every month for 11 years so her mom would have the best. That is love!
Reminded me of a movie with Bill Murray doing everything to keep his mother in a good quality place, very touching movie.

St Vincent.

The best Bill ever made, my sisters always told me that I was Bill Murray.

https://youtu.be/9dP5lJnJHXg

Old 08-26-2016, 03:12 PM

51,198 posts, read 50,480,930 times
This answer could change on a different day, but I came across a picture of my friend the other day, and I miss her terribly. She drank herself to death two years ago. I had cut her off five years before that because I couldn't stand to see her the way she was, a wet-brained mess.

But now that she is gone, the great times we had during her sobriety are what I remember. I miss who she was then. I miss hearing her laugh.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This answer could change on a different day, but I came across a picture of my friend the other day, and I miss her terribly. She drank herself to death two years ago. I had cut her off five years before that because I couldn't stand to see her the way she was, a wet-brained mess.

But now that she is gone, the great times we had during her sobriety are what I remember. I miss who she was then. I miss hearing her laugh.
I know right, depending on what day it is, my mind may change and Lord knows I remember those old lovers on a slow Tuesday.

Too bad about your friend, you still probably did the right thing, you can't enable a drunk.

Let's have a toast to her!

LOL, I don't mean real wine, but pour us a cup of wine of your friend with a good story of her and we shall drink her in.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:48 PM

51,198 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I know right, depending on what day it is, my mind may change and Lord knows I remember those old lovers on a slow Tuesday.

Too bad about your friend, you still probably did the right thing, you can't enable a drunk.

Let's have a toast to her!

LOL, I don't mean real wine, but pour us a cup of wine of your friend with a good story of her and we shall drink her in.
You are a poet, Hannibal.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 PM

447 posts, read 419,313 times
i can;t answer this i've only lost aunts uncles and grandparents. grandma recently id love more time with her. regret not doing so. but probably more time with my wife though we are newly weds so i'm hoping we have many happy years ahead and perhaps selfishly that i go first with her all set for life after mine

Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 PM

21,431 posts, read 18,139,040 times
Sorry, Mom and Dad, but I would choose my husband. I miss every single thing about him and US.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,632,035 times
Quote:

Absolutely, I would give anything to spend time with my mother again. She was so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or