U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.63%
Lover 16 12.21%
Family 105 80.15%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 AM

74 posts, read 43,373 times

Advertisements

I regret all the opportunities that I missed for having conversations with my dad, about politics or whatever. It's too late now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 4 hours ago)

13,482 posts, read 5,256,015 times
My father and my stepfather. When my father died my mother spilled a lot of bilge about him (they were married at the time of his death), and continued to do so over the years. After her death, I read some notes about him that I found in her stuff that showed that she was a bit "off" herself, even when she was 31 years old or so. I also heard great things about my father from people at my synagogue. He died when I was 15 and had been starting to get close to him.

My stepfather of almost 40 years and I had always been close. No regrets at the lack of closeness but he was a great guy.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 7,130,914 times
Toss-up for me. There is my paternal grandmother with whom I had a bit of an odd relationship. I knew she loved me growing up, but the other grandkids always seemed to get more of her attention. I've come to terms with that and understand why that was the case. I'd like to hear her stories now.

Then there is my nephew. He was a special needs child that died unexpectedly and suddenly. He started 5th grade one day and was gone the next. He was the light of our family, and I would love to hear him laugh one more time or get one more hug from him.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:40 PM

9,154 posts, read 3,969,999 times
Reading some of these comments has me in tears; for myself, for those who have lost husbands, wives, children, parents, grandparents.

My aunt died 12 days ago. She was 83. She wasn't close to anyone in the family except my mother and me to a lesser extent. Not even her own children. I think she may have had mental issues. She once told my mother (her sister) that she didn't keep in touch with her children because she was afraid they would want something from her.

She had been in and out of the hospital, rehabilitation places and Hospice regularly for the last two years. I didn't visit her at all the last 6 months because the doctors had been telling us she wasn't expected to make it so many times that we became complacent. She died alone as the nurses were moving her from ICU to a regular room. Her last words to my mother an hour before were "I just want to die". She got her wish but I hate that I didn't get to say goodbye and that she probably felt all alone in the world at a time when she really needed someone.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 4 hours ago)

13,482 posts, read 5,256,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
She got her wish but I hate that I didn't get to say goodbye and that she probably felt all alone in the world at a time when she really needed someone.
I empathize. My mother died on December 17, 2014, a Wednesday. My wife visited the preceding Saturday, December 13, 2014 with our son, my mother's grandson. I normally went on Saturdays to arrange for the live-in caregiver to sign her "slips" for long-term care, but my wife handled that. The net result is that they were the last ones to see her alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or