U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.63%
Lover 16 12.21%
Family 105 80.15%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 AM

13,261 posts, read 4,228,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
My dear husband. He died at age 45 of a massive heart attack. I found him dead when I went to bed that evening. He was my husband, lover, and best friend and the father of my three children. He died 22 years ago. I have remarried but I still have him in my heart. I would love to see him for a day to thank him for being such a wonderful husband and father and to give him a chance to see the grandchildren he would have adored. I will never stop loving him.

I am one of those people who long for death, always was, but when my daughter got pregnant, I just wanted to live longer to see him, and now she gave me another grandson and for the first time in my life I want to get healthier. Yeah, that would really be something if he could meet a Grandchild he never seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:37 AM

11,362 posts, read 6,783,711 times
A great deal of my character was shaped by a bachelor uncle, a career educator who rose through the ranks to become a "Supervising Principal" in several small school systems. He was gay, but due to the culture of his times (1930-1970), and the vulnerability linked to his profession, never came out of the closet. And unfortunately, he became increasingly eccentric, and distanced himself from many of his family and friends in later life. One or two of the new "friends" he took on took advantage of him for personal gain, though not that severely.

At the age of eighty, he returned to the house in which we had shared those formative years; we remained fairly cordial, but nothing like the years when he served as a "third parent", and filled in many of the gaps arising from my farm-family upbringing. And as his health and mental stability began to deteriorate, so did his determination to stay there to the end. He managed to avoid nursing home care for another eleven years, and by that time, it had become apparent that he didn't have much future left.

So after a month or two in which he could adjust to changed circumstances, my parents and I arranged for him to be bought back to the house (with a caregiver) and his two cats, with an informal understanding that there would be no heroic measures. And about eight days later, he passed away quietly on a Sunday morning.

I bought the house from his estate, and have had a number of ups and downs with it since -- sometimes living there, sometimes renting it out. One of the heirlooms we managed to save was a photographic portrait given to him upon his retirement from one of the school districts he'd served. I display it in the house when it's not rented,.

But I wish he could come back for just a day -- in the more-astute condition when he was younger -- to see how many friends he really had and how much his memory is cherished.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A great deal of my character was shaped by a bachelor uncle, a career educator who rose through the ranks to become a "Supervising Principal" in several small school systems. He was gay, but due to the culture of his times (1930-1970), and the vulnerability linked to his profession, never came out of the closet. And unfortunately, he became increasingly eccentric, and distanced himself from many of his family and friends in later life. One or two of the new "friends" he took on took advantage of him for personal gain, though not that severely.

At the age of eighty, he returned to the house in which we had shared those formative years; we remained fairly cordial, but nothing like the years when he served as a "third parent". And as his health and mental stability began to deteriorate, so did his determination to stay there to the end. He managed to avoid nursing home care for another eleven years, and by that time, it had become apparent that he didn't have much future left.

So after a month or two in which he could adjust to changed circumstances, my parents and I arranged for him to be bought back to the house (with a caregiver) and his two cats, with an informal understanding that there would be no heroic measures. And about eight days later, he passed away quietly on a Sunday morning.

I bought the house from his estate, and have had a number of ups and downs with it since. One of the heirlooms we managed to save was a photographic portrait given to him upon his retirement from one of the school districts he'd served. I display it in the house when it's not rented, and I'm living there.

But I wish he could come back for just a day -- in the more-astute condition when he was younger -- to see how many friends he really had and how much his memory is cherished.
That must have been a really nerve racking thing to have been found Gay and he is an authority over children, they would have crucified him back in the day and that must have really eaten at him. I chose a friend and while we were not gay, everyone thought we were. It was a man I made a covenant with, an old Jew who didn't believe in Jesus.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:52 AM

11,362 posts, read 6,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That must have been a really nerve racking thing to have been found Gay and he is an authority over children, they would have crucified him back in the day and that must have really eaten at him. I chose a friend and while we were not gay, everyone thought we were. It was a man I made a covenant with, an old Jew who didn't believe in Jesus.
I think that would be an oversimplification; the communities in which he served, and of which I speak, were small -- population 5000 or less, and more culturally homogeneous. In those times, deviation from sexual norms was seldom discussed, but tolerated if the outlet was pursued out of town, as was the case here.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM

11,042 posts, read 11,455,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If you had one extra day to spend with one person who has passed away, would it be Family or friend?

Lover?

I would spend that day with an old man, an old friend of mine but it would be a hard thing to choose especially how much I miss my sister, my Dad and my grandparents. It was way worse when my grandfathers died cause they were the air I breathed.

I think I would choose a friend though, and that seems so strange, doesn't it?

Which one would you choose?

I was just curious which one would get more votes.
The best friend I ever had died over 40 years ago. I still miss him, but I was young then. I'm not sure spending a day with him would be as much fun as it was 45 years ago, because the guy I was back then is long gone too.

As for family, people in my family live a long time. I was an old man before my parents died. My grandfather was born during the Civil War, and I was 14 when he died.

As for lovers, they generally have been healthy enough, but the second girl I ever kissed fell over dead from an aneurism when she was 50. That was quite a shock, but it's not like we were ever lovers.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

As for lovers, they generally have been healthy enough, but the second girl I ever kissed fell over dead from an aneurism when she was 50. That was quite a shock, but it's not like we were ever lovers.

Word to the wise, Larry might be a demigod whose passion is like fire, don't let Larry kiss you lest his fire rises up to consume you, woe are those who kiss the viper, he has a forked tongue by which he speaks seduction on one side but fire and death soon follow.

How Many Larry?

Probably a long list of victims succumbed under the passion of Larry.

WATCHOUT!

Just takes one kiss from Larry.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM

5,076 posts, read 6,227,497 times
My dad. He raised me as a single dad and was simply one of the best people I ever knew. He died suddenly 4 years ago, and I still miss him every day.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My dad. He raised me as a single dad and was simply one of the best people I ever knew. He died suddenly 4 years ago, and I still miss him every day.
Yeah, I still miss my dad, My dad was a professional gambler where we would be poor one day and rich the next, people still talk about him being the greatest thief ever lol.

One day a letter came to us by accident and it was meant for my father's other family, other house, other wife. My mother got the address and went there and he was there, so was the other woman. Like a 500,000 dollar house filled with precious items. Mom took a brick and broke every window until they answered the door and then she went into destroying everything in the house. The woman was hiding and when mom came home she called and said she was going to call the police and mom laughed at her and said,'' Try it.''

Good times good times.

One time my mom blackmailed her brother to telling where my dad would be where and when with a woman.

It was about 5 in the morning when she hit Sealy Texas with her 45 and they made a big mistake when they did not lock that door.

Mom just comes walking in with her 45 standing in the opening for a few seconds before they even noticed her while they were eating breakfast, the woman didn't have anything on but an apron.

One of my oldest memories is when my mom went to Europe and came back before it was time. We owned a bowling alley that was used more for dancing than bowling. Englebert Humperdink was singing Please release me and mom walks by and I start crying for her but she had her eye on a woman.

I watched as she grabbed that woman by the hair and jerked her backwards and drug her outside where she began to wail on her. Women were terrified of my mother before she became a Christian.

My dad was irresistible like a freaking king, like Elvis or something and you had to beat the women off him with a stick because what came from his lips was pure silver, he could talk a she bear out of her skin.

We would be rich, the wealthiest family anywhere, then my dad lost almost a million in one week.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 07-27-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 02:37 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,134,697 times
My brother. I'd like to know why he committed suicide.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
My brother. I'd like to know why he committed suicide.
My best friend committed suicide, then his mother did, and then his sister did and then his brother did. I can't imagine what gets in the mind of somebody who commits suicide and I think the survivors often feel guilty as if they should have seen something or maybe they could have done something but a mind going to a breaking point would be hard to explain. My wife's beast friend came over, she was extremely wealthy, had a million dollar home paid for and she was young and beautiful and when she left that night she called while she was laying down already dying after a drug overdose, and we never had a clue.

It makes one angry, why couldn't they just say something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or