U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.63%
Lover 16 12.21%
Family 105 80.15%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,062,113 times

Advertisements

My Dad. I would give a day off my life to see him again. I would prefer it when he was in good health since he died of dementia. But as selfish as it would be, I would take a day at the end if that is all. We still had nice conversations even then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Some posters truly have an endearment to the departed. it's so admirable.

I'd choose my mom. She was my mentor, best friend.. And only person who lived the unconditional love.
I recall a few weeks prior to her ending moments... She was so angry with me... She said.. I cannot speak to you. And she didn't. it broke my heart... She said her kind goodbyes to others... Yet I was the one that failed her... I held her hand though when she passed... Maybe we didn't have words for that final goodbye... I miss her everyday... I just think even one more day... Would entail her silence... And I am already carrying that ...

Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,774,014 times
I think my paternal grandmother, and only because I never had the chance to say goodbye to her. She had a chance to meet my son, her great-grandson, when he was a baby, which I was glad for -- I have a picture of her holding him, and the smile on her face would light up the night. But she died of a stroke the next month, and I wasn't there -- she was alone when she died (my grandfather had died 3 months earlier) in the middle of the night at the hospital, and I was on my way up to say goodbye.

Everyone else that I have loved, I had a chance to say goodbye to, and I realize that is a gift in itself. My dad has been gone for four years, but it seems like only a year -- I miss him so very much, but I would never wish him back for another day considering the pain he was in at the end. And it's not like I don't talk to him all the time, anyway, in my heart. :-)

Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 PM

2,201 posts, read 735,109 times
My daughter. She passed when she was 18.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:26 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A great deal of my character was shaped by a bachelor uncle, a career educator who rose through the ranks to become a "Supervising Principal" in several small school systems. He was gay, but due to the culture of his times (1930-1970), and the vulnerability linked to his profession, never came out of the closet. And unfortunately, he became increasingly eccentric, and distanced himself from many of his family and friends in later life. One or two of the new "friends" he took on took advantage of him for personal gain, though not that severely.
Snip, snip, snip.

My much older cousin was a lesbian. No one talked about it, but I suspected for a while before I figured it out. Nothing to do with her preferences, but she was my favorite of the the four. She was also the youngest and a lot of fun.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:26 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,283,964 times
My grandma. I thought the world of her. I would love to learn to bake her fruit cakes her mom use to bake because they were a HUGE hit with the family. She's only been gone just over 3 months but it feels like an eternity.
She taught me so much. History, love of old movies and music, american pride, you name it, she taught it to me.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:52 PM

62 posts, read 65,649 times
My son. He was just 15 months old when leukemia stole his life. He had such a loving personality and was so sweet.

One day wouldn't make up for the many more decades he should have lived, but I'd love to hold him and play with him again, even if just for that one day.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 AM

4,540 posts, read 3,006,146 times
I was not able to say goodbye to my son as he lived 200 miles away from me. I wish I could hold him & kiss him one last time.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 AM

635 posts, read 395,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Sweet, this is some real stuff you begin a good book with. Talk from real people to real people.

Is there anything greater than misery?

I always held mine like a precious stone.
I'm glad you find my misery so entertaining. You must be having a blast reading these heart breaking stories about pain and suffering. I hope I'm just misunderstanding your intent.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 AM

13,279 posts, read 4,233,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I'm glad you find my misery so entertaining. You must be having a blast reading these heart breaking stories about pain and suffering. I hope I'm just misunderstanding your intent.
For myself I went crazy for 3 years and my misery became a very strong addiction. Whether in passion of love or Passion of anger or misery, it is very addicting. When you hear a song that reminds you of somebody that has broken your heart, a passion dwells up within you. I still cry all the time for the loved ones I have lost and I have done that so much that it has become a part of who I am.

When I got divorced, I was so miserable for so long that I didn't know how to get back to life and there is some type of freedom in misery that will make you do things you wouldn't normally do. It makes you feel things that you wouldn't normally feel, misery is like a wine that a person may not want to wake up from.

Maybe I just thought you would understand because you sound like me in a way, I mean, I know what it is to lose somebody, a lover, and I know the misery that comes with it and it changes people for good or bad, it changes them and becomes a part of them.

As bad as it is, it makes you feel more alive and speaking as a person who has been completely broken several times, I wouldn't know how to act or what to feel without this great misery that I live in. I wear it like a robe, king of the broken hearts.

So very sorry if I had offended, it wasn't meant to offend, I just thought you may have understand, damn my tongue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or