U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.63%
Lover 16 12.21%
Family 105 80.15%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 4,293,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
My grandma. I thought the world of her. I would love to learn to bake her fruit cakes her mom use to bake because they were a HUGE hit with the family. She's only been gone just over 3 months but it feels like an eternity.
She taught me so much. History, love of old movies and music, american pride, you name it, she taught it to me.
Me and my sisters always talk about the pineapple cakes my grandma made, I never can seem to make them but my sister does every once in a while. Food always reminds us of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My Dad. I would give a day off my life to see him again. I would prefer it when he was in good health since he died of dementia. But as selfish as it would be, I would take a day at the end if that is all. We still had nice conversations even then.
What do you think y'all would talk about?

You wished you would have told him a certain thing or you just wanted to hang out? Hope I am not being too bold.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Some posters truly have an endearment to the departed. it's so admirable.

. And only person who lived the unconditional love.

That's me, my mother must be the strongest woman around because I am bi-polar and I have freaked out on her so many times and she always forgives me where anyone else would not. Nothing like a forgiving mom is there?

We always take advantage of our moms, and when the rubber meets the road, she is the one person we should be great full of, but I always let my mom down, damn the bad luck.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was not able to say goodbye to my son as he lived 200 miles away from me. I wish I could hold him & kiss him one last time.
MY GOD, I really wouldn't know how to act if one of my children died, I just can't put myself in your shoes at all.

Hell, I would murder the whole world behind one of my children if I had to make choices, there is just no freaking way I can know what you feel.

So sorry.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 AM

7,084 posts, read 10,854,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I would want one more day with my Dad, who died in the hospital before I could get there; and my Mom, who died in her sleep. Also, another day with my husband, even though I was holding his hand when he died. And finally, a man I loved (a long time before I met my husband), because he committed suicide. I'd like to have an extra day to try and talk with him about whatever was troubling him so very much.
To answer the OP...FAMILY

To the quoted post above... I'm kind of the opposite.

My mom died while we were driving the 4 hours to the hospital. I had gotten the call to get up there and she passed on when we were about halfway there. That was the first loss of a near and dear loved one, so we experienced things we never had before. Would love to say good bye to her in person.

My dad passed several weeks ago. I saw him about 3 weeks before and even though his death took us by surprise, I wasn't shocked when I was given the news. Heartbroken and sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to him in person for sure!

But his death was a little easier to accept after having experiencing mom's death several years ago.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
To answer the OP...FAMILY

To the quoted post above... I'm kind of the opposite.

My mom died while we were driving the 4 hours to the hospital. I had gotten the call to get up there and she passed on when we were about halfway there. That was the first loss of a near and dear loved one, so we experienced things we never had before. Would love to say good bye to her in person.

My dad passed several weeks ago. I saw him about 3 weeks before and even though his death took us by surprise, I wasn't shocked when I was given the news. Heartbroken and sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to him in person for sure!

But his death was a little easier to accept after having experiencing mom's death several years ago.
My dad's kidney began to fail him and I tried to take him to the nearest hospital but he wouldn't have it. He demanded to go to the VA, thing is, it was 4 in the morning on a weekend and that is when you find the very worst doctors. I think he might still be living if I had done what I should have done and that sucks. On the other hand, he may have died no matter what and by dying at the VA, they pay for your lot. I don't know, maybe he was for sure that he was going to die, and he just wanted to be at the VA for that reason, and still I wished I would not have listened to him, OMG though, It's a terrible things trying to get somebody to the hospital, that would be a great trauma not to make it on time, I have been there.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM

635 posts, read 397,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
For myself I went crazy for 3 years and my misery became a very strong addiction. Whether in passion of love or Passion of anger or misery, it is very addicting. When you hear a song that reminds you of somebody that has broken your heart, a passion dwells up within you. I still cry all the time for the loved ones I have lost and I have done that so much that it has become a part of who I am.

When I got divorced, I was so miserable for so long that I didn't know how to get back to life and there is some type of freedom in misery that will make you do things you wouldn't normally do. It makes you feel things that you wouldn't normally feel, misery is like a wine that a person may not want to wake up from.

Maybe I just thought you would understand because you sound like me in a way, I mean, I know what it is to lose somebody, a lover, and I know the misery that comes with it and it changes people for good or bad, it changes them and becomes a part of them.

As bad as it is, it makes you feel more alive and speaking as a person who has been completely broken several times, I wouldn't know how to act or what to feel without this great misery that I live in. I wear it like a robe, king of the broken hearts.

So very sorry if I had offended, it wasn't meant to offend, I just thought you may have understand, damn my tongue!
I just lost my husband nine weeks ago and the pain is still so raw that perhaps I'm too easily offended these days. I didn't think you had ill intent and I do understand what you mean. I still would rather be a happy peasant than the queen of misery any day though. I'd gladly give up my crown.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:46 PM

13,114 posts, read 7,243,047 times
It's a toss up between my best friend who died in her 30's and another one who killed himself. She was mad at me for being sick and not able to attend her husbands 40th birthday party. We never got to speak again because she died suddenly of meningitis a few weeks later.

For the one that committed suicide I saw it coming a mile away and no one that I talked to about it took it seriously. It's been three years of living with the agony that I should have done more. I don't delude myself into thinking that I could have prevented it. I just wish I had offered more support and told him that I treasured him as a friend. I think that regret will be with me forever.

It's had a profound change on the way I treat my loved ones. I never miss an opportunity to tell them how much I love and treasure them. I also hug them like I'll never see them again too. I don't ever want to feel this way again.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 PM

506 posts, read 424,628 times
My mom. She passed away in 1995.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I just lost my husband nine weeks ago and the pain is still so raw that perhaps I'm too easily offended these days. I didn't think you had ill intent and I do understand what you mean. I still would rather be a happy peasant than the queen of misery any day though. I'd gladly give up my crown.
The worst part is waking up and then remembering, it's like having a sweet dream in jail and then you open your eyes and remember that you are still in jail, the mornings were always the hardest on me. Freaking pull out your phone to call them and then remember. I became suicidal but I didn't want to kill myself. I would walk into Hispanic bars and up into the pool rooms while people were playing pool and I would scatter their balls and when they stood up, I would walk over and take a drink of their beer and spit it back on them crazy. Only thing is, when you have lost it that bad, people know it and the biggest of men will walk away. Firemen holding me down asking why I was trying to get killed.

It was almost a romance, me and my misery. I don't know, it felt like I was trying to pass a test or something. Violence is very addicting also, but I got passed all that stuff somehow, I don't know how I did it without getting killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or