U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.63%
Lover 16 12.21%
Family 105 80.15%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:38 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,798,538 times

Advertisements

Toss up between my father, a co-worker who committed suicide, and any of my grandparents. Since it will never happen until I am dead myself, in which case I believe I will see them in heaven, there's no point in wishing for anyone to come back. They are all in a much better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 PM

9,463 posts, read 15,034,249 times
My Dad. I never got to spend enough time with him, he was always working. When he did have time off he spent as much as he could with me on vacations, Disney, parks, zoo, etc, etc, but we never just "hung out". Unlike my Grandpa, who was simply there every day. We spent time just hanging, talk, take walks, just sit on the porch, watch the sunset....

I felt I got to know my Grandpa as a person and he helped shape my character and development. Dad was an excellent provider, but I felt I never really knew him. I never heard his WWII stories, school days, major events, etc. I would love to be able to spend one more day with the greatest man in my life from the Greatest generation. RIP, Dad, you deserve God's Rest

Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 PM

13,293 posts, read 4,249,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Toss up between my father, a co-worker who committed suicide, and any of my grandparents. Since it will never happen until I am dead myself, in which case I believe I will see them in heaven, there's no point in wishing for anyone to come back. They are all in a much better place.
Probably right, better place.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My Dad. I never got to spend enough time with him, he was always working. When he did have time off he spent as much as he could with me on vacations, Disney, parks, zoo, etc, etc, but we never just "hung out". Unlike my Grandpa, who was simply there every day. We spent time just hanging, talk, take walks, just sit on the porch, watch the sunset....

I felt I got to know my Grandpa as a person and he helped shape my character and development. Dad was an excellent provider, but I felt I never really knew him. I never heard his WWII stories, school days, major events, etc. I would love to be able to spend one more day with the greatest man in my life from the Greatest generation. RIP, Dad, you deserve God's Rest

Men in those days didn't really wear their heart on their sleeves as men do today. My father was so tight lipped that he never really came out and told me that he loved me but I knew he did. Men born in the 30s and 40s didn't feel like men if somebody knew they were sick or hurt, they didn't whine like I do. They didn't sit around and talk about things like men today. They were all business, the last of real men.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:03 PM

549 posts, read 820,235 times
My sister because maybe I could talk her out of using the drugs that killed her. I miss her like crazy! I miss my mom also but at least I had closure with her death.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 PM

15,630 posts, read 9,677,882 times
It would be my Mom. My Dad died when I was 11, and she had to raise me all alone. I was a horrible kid, but she never gave up on me and loved me so very much. She did not deserve what I put her through.

I would love the opportunity to tell her that she finally got through to me and that I turned out not so bad. I find myself being a lot like her and thinking the same things she thought, things that I thought were so goofy back then. She was a stronger woman than I gave her credit for.

I can't redo what I did, but I somehow think she is looking down and smiling, knowing her love won out in the end.

Don

Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
My sister because maybe I could talk her out of using the drugs that killed her. I miss her like crazy! I miss my mom also but at least I had closure with her death.
My cousin died of Xanax and one year later to the day, his brother died of Xanax. A dude that grew up in my house died of Xanax, and another dude I took care of died in my apartment from a disease contracted through a needle.. and then my very best friend of all took a bean and started acting stupid, crawled up a ladder and fell on his head from two stories and then freaked out right after taking a bean{Mandrex/Old school drugs}

All of these people knew they were taking their lives in their own hands, and when I used to do hard drugs, I suspected I would die every time but I didn't.

Sadly, I don't think you can talk people out of drugs, it depends on what kind of drugs it is though.

I have no idea what happened to your poor sister and I wonder what happened that made her take drugs in the first place cause I know what made me start taking drugs and if somebody took them away, I would think in my mind,'' If they only knew, and I can't even tell them.''

It would be like somebody betrayed me as to take me off the breathing machine.

We always think there might have been something but those people{Me}, we know what we are doing from the very beginning and there aint no talking people down. I mean, they can quit if they choose, but it is extremely, HIGHLY unlikely that anything you say would budge them at all. The more people try to talk you out of drugs, the more that drug user wants it. It's like a dad who absolutely hates the boyfriend of his daughter, it makes the daughter want him all the more.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It would be my Mom. My Dad died when I was 11, and she had to raise me all alone. I was a horrible kid, but she never gave up on me and loved me so very much. She did not deserve what I put her through.

I would love the opportunity to tell her that she finally got through to me and that I turned out not so bad. I find myself being a lot like her and thinking the same things she thought, things that I thought were so goofy back then. She was a stronger woman than I gave her credit for.

I can't redo what I did, but I somehow think she is looking down and smiling, knowing her love won out in the end.

Don
Welcome to the group, I was the worst kid of all, when I was 7, all the teenagers in town were afraid of me and what I may do to them. You suffer great trauma in your life and you change, being that your dad died, it changed the chemicals in your brain to some extent because that is a great trauma. I was horrible but I was always reaching out in agony not knowing where to turn and I hated the whole freaking world angry. That is actually a special thing given to special people. People always ask why God let's things happen. You take a young boy and give him all kinds of trauma and he will begin to loathe himself for some reason and he is angry enough to cut somebody, and then he loathes himself all the more.

What happens to most of those type of kids is a thing that doesn't happen to the normal kid, I would take a grown up kid like you and stack them against ten thousand normal people just because I know you suffered trauma at an early age and it changed you.

A kid like that will go one way or the other, they will either be the best in this world or the worst, which are you?

Just talking to myself I suspect.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 AM

1,829 posts, read 852,910 times
my mother

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,839,979 times
Daddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or