Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you spend that extra day with?
Friend 10 7.58%
Lover 16 12.12%
Family 106 80.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 01:17 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have never understood anyone wanting to hang on to someone enough to want them to have to come back to this world. Yes I miss them but they are hopefully in a better place and I hope to see them again some day. Live and let live.
When someone you have loved for over 40 years dies without warning just hours after you'd been talking and laughing with them, and you weren't there when it happened, you can't possibly understand how much just one more day would mean. A last hug. A last kiss. A last "I love you". I couldn't even see him one last time.

I've lived alone for almost seven years. I would give anything to see him smile at me one more time, and to touch his face again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I understand how many people would choose one more day but would you enjoy that day to the fullest if you knew it was the last? I think in many cases there would be so many emotions that for many, it would be ruined. One person would want to discuss things and bring things in the open, being that it's their last chance. It's really not a good idea to add one more day. It is what it is. You can only accept what happened and move forward from it. Takes years to do for most. Having one more day would not be enough. Even while knowing how short and unpredictable life can be, we still don't live it to the fullest. I wish more people would do something about that instead of living with regrets and ruining the life you have now in the meantime.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:49 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I would pick my Mom. She was elderly but died suddenly and unexpectedly, as Long Island Medium says, from a fall. I want her to come back to ask her what the heck happened? I still don't know why she would've been getting out of or back into bed by herself and what caused her to fall, or did something happen to her brain first that made her fall? I didn't want to think that she might have been scared during a fall and then possibly lying there for minutes while the effects of the brain bleed took over. I'd also want to catch her up on all the family gossip and the community that I moved into after she died. She'd be shocked. And I'd want to find out what heaven's like and is she having a good time with her family up there. I hope so!

Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I think MaggieZ kind of put a wet blanket on this thread with her negative comments. Indulging in this fantasy about seeing your loved one again, if only for a day, is not necessarily about resolving residual family conflicts, as she assumes. Some would like to ask a simple question. Some would like to ask about what the deceased person is experiencing now, or share some events that have happened, or just kiss and say "I love you" again. Some would like assurance of life after death (hasn't all mankind been wondering about that forever?) And thinking about seeing the person doesn't mean that survivors have not accepted the loss or "moved on." And it certainly doesn't mean that people are ruining their present lives because of regrets. You are right that, for many, one more day would not be enough; we all want our loved ones back, I imagine. But grieving is all about dealing with the fact that we can't have them back. And everyone has their own way and time table for working through grief. So for some, having that day might set them back in that in the process. But for many, it might give them feelings of resolution and peace. We are all different. So I would suggest, Maggie, that you lighten up a bit. This is a thread about a fantasy, no more.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I would have to pick my sister. I wasn't very close to her but her death hit me really hard. I just want to tell her that I love her and miss her very much.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing my mother, father, & step-father and all the cats/dogs I have lost.

Cat

Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
My son. He was just 15 months old when leukemia stole his life. He had such a loving personality and was so sweet.

One day wouldn't make up for the many more decades he should have lived, but I'd love to hold him and play with him again, even if just for that one day.
Wow,this is the most painful to read on here......

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,239 times
My lover of course. There have been many women in my life. Now in my mature years I have found a person that I like- who likes me - who truly LOVES me...every day with her is pure joy and security...I am in love....and we are angels.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
When someone you have loved for over 40 years dies without warning just hours after you'd been talking and laughing with them, and you weren't there when it happened, you can't possibly understand how much just one more day would mean. A last hug. A last kiss. A last "I love you". I couldn't even see him one last time.

I've lived alone for almost seven years. I would give anything to see him smile at me one more time, and to touch his face again.

You were given a gift. I wish I'd followed my instincts and called my brother the night he died of a heart attack, but I didn't. How wonderful that you had that last conversation, but I know what you mean. You wish you'd been there for that final hug.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
My son. He was just 15 months old when leukemia stole his life. He had such a loving personality and was so sweet.

One day wouldn't make up for the many more decades he should have lived, but I'd love to hold him and play with him again, even if just for that one day.

Maybe you will.

I have a theory of children that when they die before they come of age, they have to be reborn to live and make choices themselves.

But then I am a weird bible believer, and so I might be thinking that there is a thousand year rule where babies come back, and if the person who lost that child is living within this Messianic age, who knows whether he will suddenly appear as a teenager come to look for you?

But that is out there, I just think anything is possible, and whether then, or whether 10,000 years from now, I sincerely believe you will see and know him again.

You must be a very strong person, so sorry.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
My mom, she passed away when I was a child. 1970. I barely remember when she wasn't sick.
For years I blocked out what I was missing. There isn't enough time to make the list. I missed a lot.
Now as a 50+ years old, I break down often after friends talk about going somewhere with their mom.

Recently a friend lost her 30 year old daughter to cancer. She left behind a 2 year old daughter.
Told my friend I will have a special connection with that child.

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their stories. Its very healing just reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning