U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:18 AM

3,263 posts, read 2,842,546 times

Advertisements

Jimrich:

Thank you for sharing your experience. It gives hope where there is darkness.

Though he doesn't come to visit, I am blessed to have good memories to fall back on. Heck, I'm blessed to have had him in my life. I was given the opportunity to love him!

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:13 PM

9,401 posts, read 8,456,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I am so sorry............ Remember he is always with you IN SPIRIT and may let you know from time to time he IS there

I am so sorry
Why do people say. I am so sorry? What are u sorry about ? You feel bad for the OP? Absolutely.. You hope for the best for them? No doubt. You tell them you are there to help. ? Definitely...

Old 01-13-2017, 05:17 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why do people say. I am so sorry? What are u sorry about ? You feel bad for the OP? Absolutely.. You hope for the best for them? No doubt. You tell them you are there to help. ? Definitely...
People are sorry to hear that another person has lost someone they love. And they are sorry that the person has to deal with such sadness.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,475,083 times
Yes its always sad knowing someone is hurting.......

Its good to be able to try and comfort them jp03

Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,253,758 times
Personally, I feel "I'm sorry" is one of the few things people can say that is appropriate. (I am assuming here that this is not someone really close, but acquaintances and strangers who find out.) There are so many much less helpful things that people say. Saying you are sorry expresses empathy for the person - you are sorry that they have had this painful loss.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Personally, I feel "I'm sorry" is one of the few things people can say that is appropriate. (I am assuming here that this is not someone really close, but acquaintances and strangers who find out.) There are so many much less helpful things that people say. Saying you are sorry expresses empathy for the person - you are sorry that they have had this painful loss.
Saying I'm sorry implies one did something wrong. You are not "sorry" you have sympathy.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Saying I'm sorry implies one did something wrong. You are not "sorry" you have sympathy.
adjective, sorrier, sorriest.
feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.:
to be sorry to leave one's friends; to be sorry for a remark; to be sorry for someone in trouble.
regrettable or deplorable; unfortunate; tragic:
a sorry situation; to come to a sorry end.
sorrowful, grieved, or sad:
Was she sorry when her brother died?
associated with sorrow; suggestive of grief or suffering; melancholy; dismal.
wretched, poor, useless, or pitiful:
a sorry horse.

No, "sorry" does not have to imply that anyone did anything wrong. Notice that the definition includes "sympathy," "sad," "grieved," "regret."

Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
adjective, sorrier, sorriest.
feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.:
to be sorry to leave one's friends; to be sorry for a remark; to be sorry for someone in trouble.
regrettable or deplorable; unfortunate; tragic:
a sorry situation; to come to a sorry end.
sorrowful, grieved, or sad:
Was she sorry when her brother died?
associated with sorrow; suggestive of grief or suffering; melancholy; dismal.
wretched, poor, useless, or pitiful:
a sorry horse.

No, "sorry" does not have to imply that anyone did anything wrong. Notice that the definition includes "sympathy," "sad," "grieved," "regret."
No I understand. It's not the word sorry that is wrong. It's putting I'M..in front of it. e.g. Sorry for your loss is perfectly acceptable. I'm sorry implies fault. Picky? I guess

Old 01-15-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
No I understand. It's not the word sorry that is wrong. It's putting I'M..in front of it. e.g. Sorry for your loss is perfectly acceptable. I'm sorry implies fault. Picky? I guess
Well yes, it's picky. I think we need to accept people's sadness to hear that you have had a loss. If they say "I'm saddened to hear it," "I feel sorrow over you loss," "you have my sympathy," "I'm grieved that you had to go through that," those might be alternatives, but most people are uncomfortable with it, and "I'm sorry" is about the best they can do. So we need to accept it and go on. I always just say "Thank you." (It implies that I thank them for thinking about my feelings and commiserating in my sorrow.)

Any of these are better than saying "He's in a better place" or "God only gives us what we can handle" or a whole bunch of other insensitive things. (I once talked to a mother who had lost her son to a drug overdose and an acquaintance said to her "I'm sorry, but really, you're better off without him.)!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning