U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,485,915 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry.

I just lost my 12 year old cat and I'm heartbroken.

I miss her so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 12:28 PM

550 posts, read 804,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I'm so, so sorry. I have lost best friend pets and I swear they were the hardest times of my life. (I am several decades older than you are, and have some experience with loss.)

Spend snuggle time with your friend. Realize that you are taking the most loving action. Thank him for the blessing he is. This love will stay with you for the rest of your life.

The price of love is loss. It's worth it. My heart is with you.
This says it all so beautifully.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 PM

13,230 posts, read 11,780,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Thank you for that. We will be putting him down early next week. We love him and don't want him to suffer, there is nothing we can do to cure him. I will be a lifelong pet owner. I still have two other cats and I'll adopt in the future, though not right away. He is a best friend, you are very right. I wish pets could live as long as humans. This cat is 14 and had a great, healthy life in which he was always happy. Thanks for your advice and words of comfort.

Thank you for your sympathy. I grew attached to this cat as a 9 year old boy at an animal shelter. Now I'm a 23 year old man who will always love this cat as he loved my family and I unconditionally. I love all my cats and each one is unique. This one was a constant companion cat - he'd hang out with me as I studied, surfed the web, and he'd sleep in my bed sometimes when I wasn't home. Life is going to be different now.
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. My cat is my best friend and constant companion also and I know I'll be devastated when it's time for her to go.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:35 PM

605 posts, read 308,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown

Thank you for posting that, I really appreciate it. While I completely understand what you are saying and what that writing is saying, I have had a happy life so far and hope to continue to have a happy life. For 14 of my 23 years, I had a companion at home. I live with my parents and love them and I love my two other cats, I really don't play favorites. But this little guy means a great deal to me and he will always be a part of me. I lost another cat 7 years ago and I still miss him, though also remember the good times. I'm sure that will be the case with my Max. But going through this is the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. My cat is my best friend and constant companion also and I know I'll be devastated when it's time for her to go.
Thank you for your kind words and understanding, it means a lot. Part of what is a shock to me is my cat is 14, which is considered older but I have heard of cats living to be 18, such as was the case with my father's childhood cat, and even 20 or 22. I wish cats lived as long as humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'm so sorry.

I just lost my 12 year old cat and I'm heartbroken.

I miss her so much.

Thank you for your condolences. My deepest sympathies for your loss as well.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM

605 posts, read 308,968 times
Well about 40 minutes ago, we took my cat to the vet. I said my last goodbye knowing that this cat will always be a part of me and I'll always have joyful memories of him. He saw me grow from a boy to a man and I'm proud to have given him a happy life.

With that said, I couldn't help but cry a ton. I even sobbed a bit. I still feel sad, empty, and miss him already. It's very tough.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 PM

51,325 posts, read 50,591,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Well about 40 minutes ago, we took my cat to the vet. I said my last goodbye knowing that this cat will always be a part of me and I'll always have joyful memories of him. He saw me grow from a boy to a man and I'm proud to have given him a happy life.

With that said, I couldn't help but cry a ton. I even sobbed a bit. I still feel sad, empty, and miss him already. It's very tough.
When one of my cats died two years ago, a friend of mine said it perfectly: "It's stupid hard, isn't it?" I cried off and on for Winkie for three days or so. Let yourself grieve. We love our four-legged family members, too, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,672,621 times
Not crazy at all and I understand..so sorry your going through the pain. I have lost a few pets but right now by far would be the hardest one. It's our first dog in our marriage and he has a special place in my heart. Owe almost lost him a week ago due to seizures, they were very severe and he had many within 6 hours to the point they weren't stopping. The ER hard a tough time as well. He's recovering slowly but very scared the meds won't be able to control it. He is twitching and it scares me to death to see it. Crying is nothing to be ashamed of! I cried a lot each time I lost a pet and last week I was in complete tears.. Even after it was over. Such a emotional thing. He is, like many pets become, part of our family and with us not having kids he is considered our first baby. Poor guy is 4 years old and I just hope he recovers well. It's great though your cat has lived such a long good life with you! Keep holding onto that and know your doing the right thing for him! It's also great you have time to spend together before he is gone.. Treasure every moment!

Edit: just seen your most recent post, again I'm so sorry you had to go through that.. It's never easy to let go. Sounds like both you and him truely benefited from each other!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
I lost my last Chihuahua 2 weeks ago today. As hard as it was to lose Maggie, Abby was with me for 10 years. I adopted her when she was 6-9 years old. I feel like there is a hole in my heart. Part of me wants to get another dog right away and the other part of me doesn't ever want to go through this grief again.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM

21,451 posts, read 18,167,629 times
I am very sorry about your heartache. I have known that pain all my life with all my pets. Now I have said "no more". My parrot will probably outlive me now.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:38 AM

22,738 posts, read 21,795,564 times
Not all that long ago, I told my son that nothing bad could ever happen to him because his cat would die of a broken heart. She tolerates me, but doesn't even like anyone anyone else. No one would take her if we went at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or