Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 684 times

Advertisements

So the reason for my post I suppose is a bit odd. I am married and was on a works night out a few weeks ago. I spent quite a bit of the night talking to one of our ops guys, we had a laugh and it was just friendly banter. He then tried it on with me, pleaded even and I rejected him but we carried on talking and everything was cool. I gave him a peck on the cheek as I was leaving and that was that. Fast forward to Monday morning and I find out he died in a fatal drink driving accident an hour after I left. I feel so sad and I have no idea why? Maybe I feel responsible if I hadn't blown him out he would not drink drove I don't know. Feel so sad for his parents and his son. Any help or direction greatfully appreciated x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,023,395 times
I am sorry for your loss.

While I seriously doubt that "blowing him off" had anything to do with his drunk driving accident it is a reminder to everyone that if you suspect that someone (friend or foe, co-worker or stranger) is going to be driving drunk it is the responsible and moral thing to do to try to stop them.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 AM

23,558 posts, read 70,077,656 times
You are not responsible. It is as simple as that. Sorry that you lost a colleague.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 PM

510 posts, read 714,102 times
I've often thought that a work pal would be hard to lose. You spend so much time with those people, even more than your own family.

You can't hold yourself responsible; you just didn't have any control over his death.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:16 AM

32,819 posts, read 36,092,012 times
That would bother me, too. It's not your fault. He didn't say anything like, "Please stay and talk to me because I'm severely depressed." You're not a mind reader.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM

527 posts, read 1,403,938 times
If you had not turned him down, finished talking and left on your own.

Another turn of fate is maybe you would have gotten in the car also and also died in the crash.

Your good sense may have saved your life.
He made his decision and it ended badly, you made yours and it ended well.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:17 PM

17,104 posts, read 21,755,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliechalk View Post
So the reason for my post I suppose is a bit odd. I am married and was on a works night out a few weeks ago. I spent quite a bit of the night talking to one of our ops guys, we had a laugh and it was just friendly banter. He then tried it on with me, pleaded even and I rejected him but we carried on talking and everything was cool. I gave him a peck on the cheek as I was leaving and that was that. Fast forward to Monday morning and I find out he died in a fatal drink driving accident an hour after I left. I feel so sad and I have no idea why? Maybe I feel responsible if I hadn't blown him out he would not drink drove I don't know. Feel so sad for his parents and his son. Any help or direction greatfully appreciated x
This has to be trolling....one post, terrible grammar.

Anyone taking bets they never return?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning