U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2016, 04:22 PM
 
605 posts, read 308,153 times
Reputation: 535

Advertisements

I'm sure some of you saw my post about the death of my grandfather.

Many of you are going to think I'm crazy for this next post, but here goes.

Today, my family and I found out our cat has a large mass and there is nothing we can do. We don't have a lot of time left with him.

When I was 9 years old, I convinced my parents to adopt a cat. We adopted a kitten who gave us unconditional love for the last 14 years. He would spend time with us when we read, sleep with us, follow us around the house, and beg us for attention that we so happily gave to him.

Even as he has suffered over the past few days, he remains happy when a member of my family or I are around him or petting him.

In a few days, I will only have two cats. One of them we adopted not long after we adopted our first cat, the second one is a kitten. We had a stray cat for five years as well, he passed on in 2010.

I am having a difficult time with this news and knowing that he won't be in my life anymore. Other than my parents and grandparents, no living creature has given me as much love as my cats and this one was especially attached to me. I can't stop remembering him as a kitten, thinking about the past 14 years (which represents the majority of my life), and wishing there was something we can do to save him. I am in shock, I am very sad, and I am not ashamed to say I have been crying a lot today.

I hope people don't think I'm crazy, but this cat has been a part of my family and he's now a part of all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Ohio, dammit!
274 posts, read 157,499 times
Reputation: 837
No, you're not crazy. Pets are family members.

It's been 17 years since our cat died, and I still get a little wistful sometimes. My wife and I still do the "Hey, remember how he used to (act crazy around certain objects, etc.)

I'm sorry for your recent losses. I don't know what else to say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 01:49 PM
 
605 posts, read 308,153 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
No, you're not crazy. Pets are family members.

It's been 17 years since our cat died, and I still get a little wistful sometimes. My wife and I still do the "Hey, remember how he used to (act crazy around certain objects, etc.)

I'm sorry for your recent losses. I don't know what else to say...
Thank you very much. This is a very difficult thing for me. I grew up with this cat and he's been a loyal companion in good times and bad. He loves people and when he's gone my house will seem more empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,247 posts, read 543,362 times
Reputation: 6633
I am much older than you and have had many loving animal companions over the years. Unfortunately, cats and dogs just don't have the potential life span that humans do, and they leave us behind. Some of them will be really extraordinary and stand out in your memory.

You're not crazy; you're grieving. There are a couple of ways you can honor your heart friend, because that's exactly what he is. First, when you think he's in too much pain to go on, have your vet help him over gently. We do this for them, not for us. Stay with him if you can, even if you're blubbering (I've been there and the vet staff has seen it all, believe me). Let your kitty feel your touch and love to the last millisecond. It will be quick and painless.

Secondly, as soon as you can stand the thought, adopt another cat that needs you. There is no better testament to the love you've given and received from your longtime childhood cat than to continue and expand that love by giving it to another.

I know it's hard and it hurts terribly to lose one you've been so close to. But each day will get a little better again. Really, it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
4,294 posts, read 2,880,122 times
Reputation: 4257
It is hard to see loved ones leaving us. And some times we get those bad news like one behind one that is quiet hard to accept. But life is about uncertainty try to accept it. Then you feel much better. Big hug for you <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 04:17 PM
 
605 posts, read 308,153 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I am much older than you and have had many loving animal companions over the years. Unfortunately, cats and dogs just don't have the potential life span that humans do, and they leave us behind. Some of them will be really extraordinary and stand out in your memory.

You're not crazy; you're grieving. There are a couple of ways you can honor your heart friend, because that's exactly what he is. First, when you think he's in too much pain to go on, have your vet help him over gently. We do this for them, not for us. Stay with him if you can, even if you're blubbering (I've been there and the vet staff has seen it all, believe me). Let your kitty feel your touch and love to the last millisecond. It will be quick and painless.

Secondly, as soon as you can stand the thought, adopt another cat that needs you. There is no better testament to the love you've given and received from your longtime childhood cat than to continue and expand that love by giving it to another.

I know it's hard and it hurts terribly to lose one you've been so close to. But each day will get a little better again. Really, it will.
Thank you for that. We will be putting him down early next week. We love him and don't want him to suffer, there is nothing we can do to cure him. I will be a lifelong pet owner. I still have two other cats and I'll adopt in the future, though not right away. He is a best friend, you are very right. I wish pets could live as long as humans. This cat is 14 and had a great, healthy life in which he was always happy. Thanks for your advice and words of comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
It is hard to see loved ones leaving us. And some times we get those bad news like one behind one that is quiet hard to accept. But life is about uncertainty try to accept it. Then you feel much better. Big hug for you <3
Thank you for your sympathy. I grew attached to this cat as a 9 year old boy at an animal shelter. Now I'm a 23 year old man who will always love this cat as he loved my family and I unconditionally. I love all my cats and each one is unique. This one was a constant companion cat - he'd hang out with me as I studied, surfed the web, and he'd sleep in my bed sometimes when I wasn't home. Life is going to be different now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 04:40 PM
 
165 posts, read 113,389 times
Reputation: 573
I'm so, so sorry. I have lost best friend pets and I swear they were the hardest times of my life. (I am several decades older than you are, and have some experience with loss.)

Spend snuggle time with your friend. Realize that you are taking the most loving action. Thank him for the blessing he is. This love will stay with you for the rest of your life.

The price of love is loss. It's worth it. My heart is with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM
 
605 posts, read 308,153 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTYankinME View Post
I'm so, so sorry. I have lost best friend pets and I swear they were the hardest times of my life. (I am several decades older than you are, and have some experience with loss.)

Spend snuggle time with your friend. Realize that you are taking the most loving action. Thank him for the blessing he is. This love will stay with you for the rest of your life.

The price of love is loss. It's worth it. My heart is with you.
Thank you very much for your thoughts and condolences. My entire family has taken turns spending time with him over the last day and we will do so until it's time for us to do the hardest thing imaginable. I have told him I love him and he's my best friend. This is a very sad and shocking time for me. Thanks for your advice, it is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 07:10 PM
 
4,839 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Reputation: 12309
Letting go.. And Sharing this decision is commendable. It's a life that deserves regard.

As someone who recently lost a beautiful family pet... I do understand your heartache.

Wish you comfort on that day... And days to come...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2016, 07:32 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,101 posts, read 3,923,269 times
Reputation: 18770
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....


Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top