U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:39 AM

74 posts, read 43,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'm sorry he had to leave you. But cats often seem to accept their fate, more than the people in their lives do. When my dear cat passed on, under circumstances just as you describe, he was loving up to the end, purring as I held him in my lap. Then I decided not to have another cat. But this is not for us to choose. When a new cat comes along, and asks to become a part of your family, you won't be able to refuse.
I still remember when my 20 year old Noble Macaw, McGee, passed away, six years ago last February. It was a rather unpleasant surprise to find, when I went to cover his cage one Sunday night, and found McGee lying motionless on the bottom of his cage. When he failed to respond to my caressing him and saying his name, I knew the worst...McGee was dead.

Although I knew in my heart that I wanted another exotic bird, I needed some time to mourn McGee's passing, and to do some research on other exotic birds. I received many condolence calls and comments from friends, family and neighbors, which was helpful, and I also received a very touching condolence card from my veterinarian and the vet technician who worked under her.

I began asking around about reputable pet stores in our general area, and all roads pointed to an excellent pet store in East Walpole, MA, a town roughly 45 minutes to an hour south of Boston, called Bird and Reptile Connection, where I went down to look at what they had regarding exotic birds. I first looked at a Goffins Cockatoo (one of the smaller cockatoos), but after doing some research on cockatoos and reading some rather frightful stuff about them, I decided against the Goffins cockatoo, which turned out to be too hyper, anyway.

I then began to concentrate on the African Grey Parrot. I decided to get a Timneh African Grey, due to its being a bit cheaper than the Congo African Grey and its reputation for being a bit more laid back than the Congo Greys. Shortly before they were due to arrive in the pet store, however, the owner of Bird and Reptile Connection, who's also a legal Breeder of African Grey Parrots, received an email from the Timneh breeder down in Florida (which she forwarded to me), stating that the baby Timneh Greys that were due to arrive in the pet store had gotten killed by the parents, and they didn't know if or when they'd get any more of the Timnehs in, and I could purchase a Congo African Grey for the price of the Timneh Grey. I immediately took the owner of the pet store up on that, and said yes.. I was told to come down on Saturday, April 10th, to pick out my Congo African Grey, which I did.

The smaller of the two Congo African Grey Parrots immediately tried to climb up the front of my shirt, and I immediately knew, in my heart, that the bird and I had a connection. I immediately purchased the bird outright, and put a 50% deposit down on a cage. I had the bird DNA-tested for its gender. One of the staffpeople at the pet store took a small sample of blood from the toenail of the bird, and sent it out to a special lab in San Diego, CA, where they specialized in DNA-gender tests. A week and a half later, one of the staff people emailed me the results: The Congo African Grey Parrot I'd chosen was a girl. My younger sister and I discussed names, and she emailed me some names, among which included the name Aziza (which means "gorgeous" in Swahili.). I quickly agreed that Aziza was the best, most suitable name for my new pet, and therefore gave my new companion that name. I began the bonding process with Aziza by driving down to the pet store every 2-3 days to visit her, and interact with her. During that time, I also got to know the owner of the pet store, the staff people, and many other regular customers at the pet store. The staff was very helpful in helping me select toys, food and cage perches for Aziza. It was clear that we were going to get along, and that she'd remain sweet.

Aziza has given me tons of joy, and she talks, whistles, clicks, clucks, hoots, chirps, and even sings, a lot. it's such a pleasure to have her around, and I've enjoyed her sweetness from the minute that I brought her home. I cover her cage at night, and I have two cage covers for her; one for the warmer months, and a thicker quilt cover (with her name embroidered on it in gold!), for the colder winter months. She was hatched on February 1st, 2010. Every year, I have a birthday party for her, giving her an extra toy or two, having afew friends over, and having a vegetarian Lasagna dinner/luncheon!

About a month and a half after purchasing Aziza, she was ready to bring home. That Sunday morning, in mid-May, the owner of the store and her husband delivered the cage to my house, and, that afternoon, I drove down to the pet store and brought her home. The I donated McGee's old cage and cage cover to the pet store, and, not too long afterwards, another customer who needed the cage purchased it.

Aziza is a wonderful companion, and she picks up new sentences frequently. I love her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 AM

860 posts, read 441,974 times
I too am sorry for your loss, Pedro. I was recently at a concert where one of my favorites, Karla Bonoff performed this song. She let on that what I had read was true, she wrote it about the loss of her cat.

It's a good song to get some feelings out and I hope you like it - Goodbye My Friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjespGPhoMw

Old 10-30-2016, 05:52 PM

15,718 posts, read 3,131,823 times
Im so sorry for your loss,man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or