U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 PM
 
4,804 posts, read 1,355,105 times
Reputation: 4771

Advertisements

People talk about the distastefulness of online condolences, but this considers a few different angles

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/27/ma...hine.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-20-2016, 09:30 PM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Reputation: 17235
Yes it IS in a way because you arent actually SEEING ANYONE. But with the way the world is now,its understandable why so many dont want to socialise!!


Thanx for the article....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
Reputation: 48032
I can see the positive side of it because if it weren't for the internet, I might never have learned what happened to a dear online friend of mine who suddenly just disappeared. He lived in South Wales, and I lived in San Francisco, so we'd never met in person but we were best buddies on line and had corresponded daily for over 10 years. Then, all of a sudden...nothing.

After 10 days of Googling fruitlessly, I finally turned up an online obituary in his local newspaper. If it hadn't been for that, I might never have known what happened to him. I left a warm condolence message on the site so that his family and friends in South Wales will know how much he meant to someone on the other side of the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 PM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Reputation: 17235
Ahhhhhhh Im sorry about your friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2016, 02:10 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
Reputation: 48032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ahhhhhhh Im sorry about your friend
Thank you, Dude111.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2016, 04:37 PM
 
4,804 posts, read 1,355,105 times
Reputation: 4771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I can see the positive side of it because if it weren't for the internet, I might never have learned what happened to a dear online friend of mine who suddenly just disappeared. He lived in South Wales, and I lived in San Francisco, so we'd never met in person but we were best buddies on line and had corresponded daily for over 10 years. Then, all of a sudden...nothing.

After 10 days of Googling fruitlessly, I finally turned up an online obituary in his local newspaper. If it hadn't been for that, I might never have known what happened to him. I left a warm condolence message on the site so that his family and friends in South Wales will know how much he meant to someone on the other side of the Atlantic.
But if he were a "dear friend," wouldn't you also have his physical address? When I've had good online friends, I've sent them gifts, for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2016, 05:14 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
Reputation: 48032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
But if he were a "dear friend," wouldn't you also have his physical address? When I've had good online friends, I've sent them gifts, for instance.
Yes, I had his physical address, and we had exchanged cards and gifts in the past. Because we lived 5,000 miles apart - he in South Wales and I in San Francisco - it wouldn't have been practical to go check on him in person. Any correspondence might have taken a week to 10 days to arrive, and if a family member had written back, I would have had to wait at least another week to 10 days for the reply to arrive. The internet was a lot more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
Reputation: 16486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Yes, I had his physical address, and we had exchanged cards and gifts in the past. Because we lived 5,000 miles apart - he in South Wales and I in San Francisco - it wouldn't have been practical to go check on him in person. Any correspondence might have taken a week to 10 days to arrive, and if a family member had written back, I would have had to wait at least another week to 10 days for the reply to arrive. The internet was a lot more efficient.
How many families check the online obituary for condolences? So mail would take a week. I don't see how that has anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 03:08 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
15,814 posts, read 4,931,904 times
Reputation: 48032
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How many families check the online obituary for condolences? So mail would take a week. I don't see how that has anything to do with it.
Sorry, I don't get what you mean by this. Can you elaborate, thinkalot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2016, 03:53 PM
 
2,412 posts, read 1,178,886 times
Reputation: 5719
I am not into 'social media' per se (none of the usual suspects that is and I don't use my phone to text, etc.) but when my father died I made sure we had an online obituaries in several places along with ones in newspapers in his local area, in a far northern place he used to live, and in the Welsh area he was born and raised in. As a result, we (the family) heard from many who otherwise would never have known about his passing - and I still (4 years later) still check occasionally because just recently I found out about the death of an ex-brother-in-law accidentally when searching for his and my sister-in-law's address online .. via an online obituary. I never could find their address but the obit was still there so I left a condolence (and please contact me) message hoping they too will look every once in a while (he died 2 years ago now). I am genuinely sorry about his death too .. I really liked him .. and the only reason they are sort of 'ex's' anyway is because her brother was my husband and he died. I didn't put anything anywhere about him however since I passed much of that info on via phone or email to his friends back in TX and other places - and no one else, as far as I know, would be interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top