U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 03:08 PM

103 posts, read 64,268 times

Advertisements

I just very recently learned from an acquaintance, that a distant friend of mine passed away about 2 years ago. However my friend had lived in several places in the past 25 years. Yet whenever I go online to try to find a death notice or obituary for my friend, I am bombarded with tons of “pay sites” offering to provide a death notice or obituary on my friend . . . however my friend has a somewhat common name, so I can easily come up with plenty of search results with my friend's name in different cities and states.

I don’t mind paying for the information as long as it is information "is" in regards to my friend, however I am at a loss as to where I can go online to get correct and accurate information from a legitimate service.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 03:58 PM

6,235 posts, read 18,156,467 times
Many newspapers archive past obits. If you know where your friend lived, find out which newspapers are in the area. I've found many obits this way on my own. Another resource might be Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records and Online Memorials.

If you want help, PM me the name and where she lived.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 PM

Thank you for your help, Myrc60. I looked for my friend via the link that you provided, but it did not come up with any hits. My friend’s name was “James V. Hittner”, I think he was born between 1927 and 1929. His birthday was March 20th. My acquaintance said that James died about 2 years ago. James lived in Los Gatos, California, but my acquaintance said that he thinks that James was buried somewhere in Wisconsin. James was born in Wisconsin and lived in various places as a young adult, but I think that he had lived in California since the early 70's.

I tried looking at the obituaries in California, and Wisconsin . . . yet most of the newspaper obituaries I found, you have to have a paid subscription to them. Again, I do not mind paying a website for the information if they in fact have a death notice or obituary information for my friend James.

Yet any help that you can provide to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:23 PM

I found he was born 3-20-1929. Haven't found anything else yet. Obits are not cheap, it is possible there wasn't one published due to cost.

If you are on Facebook I can give you some links to groups that may be able to help you.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Thank you Myrc60. I do have a Facebook account. Any information you can provide to help, is greatly appreciated. I am glad that you were able to find a hit on James' birth date, as I could not find anything. My acquaintance did confirm that James was buried in Wisconsin . . . which would make the most since, since I think James parents are buried there as well.

For sure, I understand about there may not be an obituary. The last time I was in contact with James was in 2011. From the time I had known him in 2006, it did not appear that he had any blood family living other than 1 niece that he spoke of from time-to-time . . . he never called her by name, but she lived in Wisconsin. So since James was born and raised in Wisconsin, I am guessing that might be where the bulk of his family is buried.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 PM

Here you go:

These 2 have a worldwide reach. You might be able to find some local to Wisconsin too!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Gene...oup_browse_new

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1551...oup_browse_new

Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Thank you, Myrc60. I greatly appreciate all of your help. Thanks a MILLION!!!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:54 PM

4,550 posts, read 5,846,735 times
It seems Mr Hittner was a lover of nature and animals. I found his name as a contributor to California State Parks, and his name is listed as a contributor for the Ocean Conservancy Organization.

There is a family tree that seems to have him listed but the owner has decided not to make her information public. If you can go to your local library and use the Ancestry Library edition you can probably contact her. Just put in his name and 1929 and it should come up.

His father is buried here:

Dr Vernon J. Hittner (1898 - 1980) - Find A Grave Memorial

You may want to contact that cemetery and see if he too is possibly buried there.

If he died in Santa Clara County, try this link to see if you can find a obit:

https://www.sccl.org/about/contact-u...rch-assistance

Looking in Santa Clara County, it does appear he may have died there. There are some recorded documents that show he has a living trust and affidavit of death that was dated/recorded

Document Date:07/23/2014

Here is the link if you want to search:

Santa Clara County Recorders Office

He may have been cremated, which would be why you may not be able to find a burial site on Find-a-Grave. I don't think, given that he has a living well and was a donor for worthy causes, that cost played a factor with an obit.

There is a possibility he could have lived in WI as I did find an address associated with him there. If he did live there, it was a rental. Address is listed to people who have owned it since 2004.

N6673 Lake, Shawano, WI 54166.

Not sure if any of this may be helpful.

Last edited by Eldemila; 09-26-2016 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 11:16 PM

4,550 posts, read 5,846,735 times
I believe Mr Hittner had a sister named Nancy:

Obituary Record

She too is buried there

This is the same cemetery the father is buried in:

Obituary Record (date of birth is a mistake on here, notified them)

I don't see Mr Hittner buried there

Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 AM

9,138 posts, read 3,952,300 times
Social Security Death Index can start you on the path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or