U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM

5,811 posts, read 3,298,927 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it never stops happening. It's been 27 years since I lost my first husband, my first love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:54 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,006,146 times
I felt it today. Don't know why it hits when it does. I felt love though. It was peaceful.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:05 PM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Hugs to all.

I was very close to my paternal grandmother and she died when I was about 40 after living right around the corner from me for years, so yes, I did grieve for her - but in retrospect I realize that somewhere in that grief, I knew she was old, she was sick, and now she was at peace - there was some relief and comfort to the grief if that makes sense.

A few weeks ago, my dad died very unexpectedly - he was the youngest person on his long living family's side to die - at a very vigorous and active 78. He was at the shooting range in fact when he had a stroke. And after he got to the hospital, we thought for days that he was coming home in a few days - he seemed to be doing pretty well.

Then he suddenly nose dived and had a massive stroke on his brain stem - and he was gone. I remember looking at the "goal date of release" on the chart in his room and it said "10/29/16." Well - he was released alright - that was the day he died.

Since his death, I've fluctuated between busily helping my mom (he was her main caregiver), and sobbing as I have to go through his papers and records, which always contain notes in his beloved handwriting. I can be fine all day, and then, for instance the other night I opened his briefcase and found his little packet of meds that he had packed to carry with him at all times - to stave off death (he had a platelet disorder which caused clotting and also uncontrolled bleeding but he was fastidious about taking his meds and taking precautions). He was trying so hard to live and to be careful - but nothing he did could have saved him from that devastating blood clot, which happened in spite of all his precautions.

It just broke my heart. He was so vital, so active, so alive - but that packet of meds represented the fears that he kept to himself. He never shared those deep fears with any of us, but I know they were there, and his fears came true.

Just thinking about it makes my heart hurt.

I went out tonight to look at November's Super Moon. My dad and I always watched the sky together or at the same time. He or I always called the other when some sort of special moon, or eclipse, or meteor shower was going to happen, and we'd set our clocks and compare notes the next day. Tonight I looked at that moon alone. I expected that to make me cry, but instead, I felt a sense of great peace, which was surprising.

Grief is on it's own timeline, that's for sure.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:49 PM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times
Nice post, Kathryn. That was how my Mom spelled it too. My Dad and I used to do stuff like that too. We were both very interested in natural phenomena. Like you, I thought watching it by myself now would make me sad but I feel content. I tell myself he is just watching from a different view.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 PM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Nice post, Kathryn. That was how my Mom spelled it too. My Dad and I used to do stuff like that too. We were both very interested in natural phenomena. Like you, I thought watching it by myself now would make me sad but I feel content. I tell myself he is just watching from a different view.

That's it EXACTLY!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or