U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM

14,498 posts, read 11,474,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My husband's. The head of the VA, in Bourne, Massachusetts, let my husband stay on ice for 7 months after he died making the funeral home and me resubmit paperwork after paperwork. Why?? Haven't a clue. Never got a reason or explanation because the a-hole didn't need to provide either. He is the law of the VA down the Cape and what he says or does is law. I couldn't do anything to help hubby or myself. I was too, too deep in grief. The older peeps here could attest to that. They saw.

So from Jan. 12, 2012 to July something, he laid on ice. IDK even what day his remains were interred. No one, not even his father or sister cared by then to join me. I sat alone on a bench while TAPS played. Got the flag, gave the box a kiss and drove back home.

THAT was the most horrendous funeral I have been to.
that is so sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
The funeral of a classmate's father in our small town. He was a womanizer from what I learned later...only a few days later.

The widow bereaved, just before the coffin was closed, flung herself across the chest of the deceased, grabbed his crotch and proclaimed, "It was mine, all mine."

In one of the local beauty shops the next day my girlfriend said that several older women snorted in disbelief. The beautician claimed he had bitten her breast, and that she had the teeth marks still.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:11 AM

2,198 posts, read 734,123 times
I don't believe I have ever been to a "horrible" funeral, although NONE of them are pleasant.

One funeral I attended in the mid-to-later 70's segregated the people in church. This was a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Texas that was mostly black Americans, and I don't even remember the name of it. But inside the church, the clergy had the whites gather to one section, which seemed so 1950's to me (only in reverse). One of the better services I attended, though.

Another one had a group of women singing and they were terrible. When they sang "He Walks with Me" in their squeaky voices, I have never been able to listen to that song since without cringing. To me they ruined that whole service.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:37 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
I can not think of one that I would rate horrible. the hardest was a funeral for a little 4 year old girl many years ago. She had been a neighbor, she played with our daughter and all the kids in the neighborhood evey day while we gals drank coffee (good ole days) Long story, but she was in a fire and burned to death. She lived 3 days. The phone call was the worst I think I have ever gotten, but the funeral was not bad, it was done well without a lot of long "I remember her" speeches.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:29 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelad View Post
Any really terrible ones you have been to.
Oh, no, not all. All the funerals I've been to were such fun. Just a "laff riot."

Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 AM

1,256 posts, read 464,405 times
My brother-in-laws brother was killed in Afghanistan in 2007, at age 27.
9 days waiting for his body to come home.
3,000 people at his funeral.
165 car procession.
His boots and helmet on display.
His mother collapsing on his coffin.
I cried for days.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:45 AM

158 posts, read 48,676 times
My partner and i had a very close friend from the UK. Wonderful man - so gentle, so sweet. When we met him few years ago, he was just going through a terrible divorce with his 2nd wife. He was fighting for his daughter, but his ex won the full custody. He was devastated.. It took him 4 years to pull himself together and have a normal life again.
Max, that was his name, changed his location, his job, everything. Met a wonderful woman and became like a father for her two young boys. At the end of July he went back to the UK for his girl's birthday. Got into fight with the ex and suffered a heart attack. He past in front of his daughter.
When his family came to scatter his ashes, his ex started asking about his belongings - car, house, money. While the rest of us were grieving, the ex was trashing the house. It was pretty ugly sight to say the least.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 PM

3,962 posts, read 5,248,587 times
Quote:
I don't know what the OP's motivation is for asking this question, but somehow it gives me the creeps. Is he a voyeur, or just hoping to upset people? Why would someone want to hear about the "really terrible" experiences of others? If you click on the OP's name and the list of all his postings, you will see he has only asked questions. No contributions.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:23 AM

479 posts, read 335,190 times
Quote:
My grandfather's funeral in 1985. It was an "open secret" in the family that my grandparents had a bad marriage, but they were old fashioned and did not believe in divorce (...only adultery, I guess ). Grandpa had another woman in another town that he had been having an affair with for more than 30 years. His longtime girlfriend showed up at the funeral. You could have cut the tension in that funeral home with the knife, but we avoided any major scenes during the funeral. (The family saved the scenes for a few days after the funeral, but that's another story.)

To this day, I cannot listen to Carrie Underwood's song "Two Black Cadillacs" without thinking about grandpa's funeral.

(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVEBZLrjpw4 )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or