U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,795,022 times

Advertisements

I was at a wake where the catholic priest was from India, and sounded like he just began learning English that day. We could barely understand a few words. Half the people in the room were Jewish (mixed marriage), and we certainly didn't leave any positive impression of Christianity that day.
Another funeral, same family, the procession took several different highways, losing a few cars at each merge. One of the merges had another funeral procession passing through at the same time, so some of ours followed them, and some of theirs followed us! A comedy film couldn't have done it better if they tried. I said something to the funeral director about taking a more straightforward route, and he became irate. Not wanting to make a scene at a gravesite, I resisted the urge to toss his skinny old body down the hole. Nasty SOB. I hope a corpse becomes possessed and scares the f**k out of him and he dies from fright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 PM

9,291 posts, read 11,142,948 times
I didn't attend but I heard about it.....

Guy died young. Had a pair of motorcycles next to the casket, was wearing sun glasses in the casket and had rap music blaring from a boom box. I couldn't believe it and actually verified the story with another person that was there!

Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,210 times
Default So sorry justus978

I am so sorry for you, and for everyone who has lost a child. Prayers for healing of broken hearts. I think the worst funerals are when the officiant questions whether or not the person is in heaven, when someone at the funeral decides to take the opportunity to make it all about him/herself, when the officiants makes it all about him/herself, and when family members get into an argument about who loved the person the most.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 PM

2,838 posts, read 1,161,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
my daughter's....she was 4
Oh Justus, my deepest sympathies. My own daughter passed away at 18, 33 years ago, and the pain never goes away, does it.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 2,142,556 times
Not worst....just twilight zone Bizzare....

An endearing lady who was a friend of my moms'. Passed away a year after I put my mom to rest.

Her family called to share the sad news and to let me know the funeral arrangements.

I get to the afternoon "life Celebration", and It may as well been had been ALL ABOUT THEM. Not a single one of them thought beyond their nose...It was not grief talk either...It was about How "they" lived and How important they were...Not a single one uttered the departed name unless it was in reference to a photo and WHERE they were in the picture. I seriously walked out of that event ...said a silent prayer for the lady who left this earth and knew in my heart ...what a banal family she had...Not in my life had I experienced such ritual where the departed was "dismissed" in favor of their one up manship.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,037,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Not worst....just twilight zone Bizzare....

An endearing lady who was a friend of my moms'. Passed away a year after I put my mom to rest.

Her family called to share the sad news and to let me know the funeral arrangements.

I get to the afternoon "life Celebration", and It may as well been had been ALL ABOUT THEM. Not a single one of them thought beyond their nose...It was not grief talk either...It was about How "they" lived and How important they were...Not a single one uttered the departed name unless it was in reference to a photo and WHERE they were in the picture. I seriously walked out of that event ...said a silent prayer for the lady who left this earth and knew in my heart ...what a banal family she had...Not in my life had I experienced such ritual where the departed was "dismissed" in favor of their one up manship.
My grandmother was buried that way. I didn't show up. She adopted my youngest brother which would be her son and it was all about them. ( fine with me, no jealousy) But it turned into funeral about my brother that was still alive and nothing about her. She was a mad old lady in her later life. My brother took her on car rides because it seemed to calm her down but she had problems.

As far as everyone else in my family, I always with them when they passed. It was hard on me but I couldn't let them die alone. I just can't do that so the opposite takes some inner strength.

The two funerals that broke my heart, I can't really talk about it in this thread because it's long.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,037,157 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:33 AM

619 posts, read 323,570 times
Quote:
I am so sorry for your loss and pain. I cannot imagine what you are going through every day. 😢

Old 10-25-2016, 04:34 AM

5,119 posts, read 3,636,143 times
I attended a funeral of a neighbor of ours. She had a very large family of 11 children (all adults when she passed away). Her husband died when the youngest was just a toddler.

The funeral was done by her Baptist minister. He went on and on and ON about how she attended church and that everyone else should or you'll go to hell, and blah blah blah.
He went on so much that: Beside my husband was a man whose head was down and he was softly snoring. Behind me was a man with his head back, also sound asleep. Well, didn't I get the damned giggles? I had to plug my nose or I would have snorted trying to keep my giggles in. Hubby was about to smack me one when he realized that I was shaking from giggling and not crying.

Anyways, this minister's one comment really made me angry: Poor Carol was tired. Carol was tired from raising all her children alone for so many years. How rude and unappropriate making her children feel guilty for her death!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
The worst was my son's friend who was only 22. She died in a car accident on I-75. She was at my house all the time, my oldest even took her to prom one year. I knew her mother quite well also and my hurt ached for her and anyone who loses a child. It was standing room only at the church and my whole family cried throughout the entire service.

When I went up to greet the mother she said to me "Chi - my baby is gone". Well that just broke my heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or