U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 PM

3,991 posts, read 5,364,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelad View Post
Any really terrible ones you have been to.
This has to be the worst topic I have ever seen. For what earthly purpose are you asking this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 AM

1,531 posts, read 945,961 times
thank you all for your kind thoughts and words...
...i was just a kid myself, late twenties...forty years later i could fill a book about having gone through the horrid experience of watching my daughter die a little bit each day as the cancer ate away at her(neuroblastoma)...in short, it forever changes you; profoundly...
...yes, life does goes on and we make choices, i chose to not wallow in misery and sought to understand why....bottom line, we never know why...whatever tradition you follow, whatever creed you adhere to, embrace it, there are dark times when that relationship you have with your deity is the only thing that will get you through the day, or night.

again, thank you all

Old 10-27-2016, 04:26 AM

1,514 posts, read 601,504 times
I forgot one for a friend of ours. I was bought up Catholic and was used to the "wake then funeral mass at church". This was a Protestant affair and I was surprised when a minister got up to speak at the funeral home. It was EXTREMELY obvious he did not know our friend or anything about him besides his occupation. He literally, after a few minutes, was flipping through the Bible, saying, "here is a verse you might find comforting."

Add in CREEPY organ music played throughout. Still, I was glad we went as his (common law) widow did not have anyone else there for her (they were from out of state). One of the few times I saw my husband cry.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:37 AM

110 posts, read 73,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
my daughter's....she was 4
😇 so sorry

Old 10-27-2016, 04:44 AM

110 posts, read 73,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
No, but when we had to put down granny, I spoke with the funeral director/salesman. He said we were a refreshing moment for him. Many families think "Oh we HAVE to bury them in the most expensive casket, with gold trimmings and a 12 person choir and a 9 instrument band to "Send them off" as if we did less, we'd be seen as "Cheap"

Well, granny's funeral cost my Mother $5K for everything. That wasn't one bit "Cheap" even when we tried to cut expenses...That was terribly expensive for us.

I can't stand it when people splurge on funerals and parties; yet they can't even afford a car...pathetic. no need to spend more than you can.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:58 AM

5,267 posts, read 7,518,078 times
No contest, it was for 3 children killed in a fire. We knew the family personally and they were patients at the pediatric office where I worked at the time.

There were 5 kids in the family, their bedrooms were on the 2nd floor. 2 kids escaped the middle-of-the-night fire but the 2 year old, 8 year old and 13 year old burned to death.

The caskets were open and I know that much work was done to make the kids presentable but it was unbelievably horrible. The 3 little kids presented in 3 little caskets (the one for the 2 year old was incredibly tiny) and the grief of the parents, the 2 surviving kids and the extended family and friends.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:15 AM

12,681 posts, read 6,962,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
My grandfather's - he was not exactly Mr. Faithful during his marriage to my grandmother and a couple of his girlfriends showed up. When one them (supposedly paying her respects) bent over the coffin to kiss his cheek, the other girlfriend shoved her out of the way, and both of them began pushing each other and swearing loudly. My grandmother ended up being the one to separate them. A total disgraceful display.

Yikes. When John's sergeant died his ex wife and two sons had to pay for the funeral. His bimbo girlfriend and they're two adorable children were basically ignored. They were off on the side lines and totally shunned. Had she waited only a few more months to divorce him the ex would have gotten his pension. They were married for over 25 years when he did what he did and the comments at his wake were very negative. I think the ex handled it with dignity and there was no brawl. The bimbo just hid in the corners like she did during their affair. They both basically destroyed her life and I admire her for taking the high road. I don't think I'd be that generous.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:24 AM

258 posts, read 129,119 times
[quote=somelad;45919295]Any really terrible ones you have been to.[/QU

My father in laws.

My m-i-l is so stingy (even though she has more money than most) she didn't want a funeral director. This left the family to move flowers and such from the hall where the viewing was to the church. It was just chaos. The people who came didnt know what was going on when we went to the cemetary, which was just supposed to be immediate family because we had dug the hole ourselves for the urn and just had a rug covering it so it looked messy. Then the meal was terrible and stingy-family members had gone to get the cheapest foods at the store deli and it was a shame how little there was.

It was embarrassing for the family and disrespectful to my f-i-l.

But I bet when she dies the family will give her the funeral of a queen. I won't be there.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:44 AM

258 posts, read 129,119 times
I forgot to add that my m-i-l also didn't want to pay for obituaries so many of my f-i-l friends didn't even know. We got a call 2 months later from an old acquaintance of my f-i-l offering his condolences - he was sorry he missed the funeral, he hadn't even known about it.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:24 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,976,040 times
All of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or