Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:48 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times

Advertisements

well, there was my dad's, where dad's girlfriend's son (married) hit on my sister (also married). Real class.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Mine, I'm thinking

Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
One that I didn't attend, but which I heard about... an older man passed away, who had been very well known locally during his life... for all the wrong reasons. He was apparently quite nasty, and widely despised. Shockingly, there was a huge turnout for his funeral. Packed. Standing room only. And not one tear was shed in the church. So... just take that as a lesson, a small crowd at a funeral isn't necessarily a bad thing... just as long as the mourners are sincere!

They WERE sincere - in their desire to make sure that he was really dead.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelad View Post
Any really terrible ones you have been to.
No, but when we had to put down granny, I spoke with the funeral director/salesman. He said we were a refreshing moment for him. Many families think "Oh we HAVE to bury them in the most expensive casket, with gold trimmings and a 12 person choir and a 9 instrument band to "Send them off" as if we did less, we'd be seen as "Cheap"

Well, granny's funeral cost my Mother $5K for everything. That wasn't one bit "Cheap" even when we tried to cut expenses...That was terribly expensive for us.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:51 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
A three year old girl, daughter of neighbors and friend of my son who was around five at the time, killed in a car accident. It was a crazy situation, parents had pulled over to the side of the road to show some beautiful views to visiting friends. everyone thought someone else was keeping an eye on her, she slipped out of the car and ran into the road. I've been to many funerals but that was definitely the most tragic
Yes, the worst are when the deceased is young. One of my best friends in elementary school (she was 8) was shot to death by her father along with her younger sister and mother. Her mother had grown up with mine. No one saw it coming. That was like living through a nightmare. Their grandmother was widowed and was left with no family at all. She literally threw on the caskets at the graveside ceremony and wouldn't let go...my mother finally got up and helped pull her away.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:14 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,766 times
I heard about a funeral where a mother and grown daughter (aunt and cousin of the deceased) made a big announcement that they had to leave immediately following the burial, instead of joining the family for a meal, because they had tickets to a play in NYC.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:21 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,796 times
2-1/2 hours sitting in a folding chair that sloped forward. Middle of an aisle and couldn't leave.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
First funeral I can remember was a young boy killed by an 18wheeler when he ran into the roads
He was 6 or so and I was little older
Very sad-- everyone was crying...

Other was my dad's
He was 90... Had remarried after my mom died about 8 yrs before
His wife we came to discover was a beetch...got him to change his will in her and her daughter's favor...they refused to,let us have an private time w/him when he was dying...
His wife was almost totally deaf...she would sit facing us at the head of his bed to make sure she knew what we were saying...
Whe your dad remarries you have NO legal rights concerning him...

Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times
Its there a best funeral thread?

I got a good one to share. The deceased was a comedian.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I attended a funeral of a neighbor of ours. She had a very large family of 11 children (all adults when she passed away). Her husband died when the youngest was just a toddler.

The funeral was done by her Baptist minister. He went on and on and ON about how she attended church and that everyone else should or you'll go to hell, and blah blah blah.
He went on so much that: Beside my husband was a man whose head was down and he was softly snoring. Behind me was a man with his head back, also sound asleep. Well, didn't I get the damned giggles? I had to plug my nose or I would have snorted trying to keep my giggles in. Hubby was about to smack me one when he realized that I was shaking from giggling and not crying.

Anyways, this minister's one comment really made me angry: Poor Carol was tired. Carol was tired from raising all her children alone for so many years. How rude and unappropriate making her children feel guilty for her death!
I forgot about the Baptist eulogy. Always about h5ll and darn-nation. Yup the minister does shout..like you...I giggled terribly when he told the ladies to sit in the back as the front seats were reserved for the men of the congregation. I looked at the minister and said, sorry ladies are equal in God's eyes..maybe you can get yours checked...cuz I see ugly in that remark of yours.

I agree the kids didn't need to hear that from a preacher..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning