U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 PM

798 posts, read 375,026 times

Advertisements

Ok I guess I'm in the minority then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:47 PM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Most of my parents and grandparent's generations are buried in two old cemeteries, near each other. There was mature landscaping surrounding my family's grave site when I was a child. By this I mean, there was a manicured hedge. When my sister and I went there a few years ago, all that was left of the hedge was a scraggly bush on one side. I am not sure what to do about it, since I live far away. At some point, I'm sure my family paid for perpetual care, but now it's a hundred years later.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:26 PM

16,469 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Most of my parents and grandparent's generations are buried in two old cemeteries, near each other. There was mature landscaping surrounding my family's grave site when I was a child. By this I mean, there was a manicured hedge. When my sister and I went there a few years ago, all that was left of the hedge was a scraggly bush on one side. I am not sure what to do about it, since I live far away. At some point, I'm sure my family paid for perpetual care, but now it's a hundred years later.
I bet that you would be able to find the records of who currently manages the cemetery and contact them.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:13 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I bet that you would be able to find the records of who currently manages the cemetery and contact them.
Yes, at the time we were there, there was an office, but it was closed. I should be pursuing it, but haven't. I guess I'm a little afraid that pursuing it might cost me money.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:28 AM

5,577 posts, read 4,780,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, at the time we were there, there was an office, but it was closed. I should be pursuing it, but haven't. I guess I'm a little afraid that pursuing it might cost me money.
They made a deal. Hold them to it.

I got it done at an old cemetery. Took a lot of calls and didn't happen real fast but I got it taken care of.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Yeah but I'd think that's the point of the artificial flowers - so you CAN leave them for while. This way at least you feel the grave is marked showing someone cares whereas the live flowers wilt and dye and disappear and then who has the time or money to keep replacing them to keep from having a bare grave? I dunno. I like them.
Ah, so the point is that cemetery visitors keep track of which graves are visited. So, if you leave plastic flowers they won't know you haven't been there for three years. So actually the point of artificial flowers is not that "someone cares," but the appearance that someone cares.

Besides, real flowers are like people, they don't last...seems more appropriate, unless you are into denial.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 AM

21,477 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Plastic flowers make a mess. Wind and rain cause them to come apart and the pieces blow everywhere. Then the mowers chew them up. Groundskeepers are not going to walk around and pick them up before they mow.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
I actually enjoyed going to my grans grave in the 50s when I was a young girl. only one aunt out of eight of a family ever went after the first year so I accompanied my aunt a lot, I didnt go every week , as hated it in the wet or cold, it was so bleak and we never seemed to pass anyone, it was a bit creepy, but on a sunny day there were plenty at graves with flowers and we would chat to some of them, it wasnt morbid at all, although I did see my aunt crying quite a few times when I was away taking old flowers to the dump. Some people just dont like these places at all and I never saw any of my other aunties or my mother ever there visiting or maybe my memory just playing tricks as I was so young. I went to see it about two years ago and found it hard to even find it as its all overgrown and blended in with two or three other graves without stones, the only way I knew it was that there was a four year old girl buried across the path from my granny, and it always made me sad as no one every visited, some flowers are still left now but not many as most people are cremated nowadays, which is a shame in a way as nothing is left to visit. My granny loves flowers and Id thought about planting some rose bushes, I cant see anyone moaning about it as it isnt taken care of by the council,also a small marker too , at least then someone will know that such a lovely woman existed at one time.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ah, so the point is that cemetery visitors keep track of which graves are visited. So, if you leave plastic flowers they won't know you haven't been there for three years. So actually the point of artificial flowers is not that "someone cares," but the appearance that someone cares.

Besides, real flowers are like people, they don't last...seems more appropriate, unless you are into denial.
Well, sort of I guess. Except for the appearance of caring. It is real caring. There is a family there that loves the decedent but they just can't afford to keep buying and replacing flowers or making the trip to visit. Not everyone gets buried within driving distance of their relatives homes or business.

Guess I just like the idea of the grave having a decoration, a bit of love, a bit of home, a bit of character & personality instead of a bare marker looking like it could be anybody else's.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Plastic flowers make a mess. Wind and rain cause them to come apart and the pieces blow everywhere. Then the mowers chew them up. Groundskeepers are not going to walk around and pick them up before they mow.
I guess I never thought of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or