U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 PM

798 posts, read 376,084 times

Advertisements

Anybody told they can only leave live flowers and if they leave artificial ones they'll be removed? They throw away the live flowers one they wilt so wouldn't artificial ones make more sense? You can leave them till you replace. No good reason for the no fake flower rule that I can understand. Is this the basic rule in all cemetarys or just the one I went to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 PM

16,488 posts, read 15,923,785 times
This varies by each cemetery's rules.

Some have the rule of no artificial flowers because sometimes people will put out cheap plastic flowers and just leave them there for months, or even years. They may start to look pretty tacky to most people but the people who left them may become angry if the grounds keepers remove them.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 PM

798 posts, read 376,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
This varies by each cemetery's rules.

Some have the rule of no artificial flowers because sometimes people will put out cheap plastic flowers and just leave them there for months, or even years. They may start to look pretty tacky to most people but the people who left them may become angry if the grounds keepers remove them.
Yeah but I'd think that's the point of the artificial flowers - so you CAN leave them for while. This way at least you feel the grave is marked showing someone cares whereas the live flowers wilt and dye and disappear and then who has the time or money to keep replacing them to keep from having a bare grave? I dunno. I like them.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 AM

5,578 posts, read 4,785,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Yeah but I'd think that's the point of the artificial flowers - so you CAN leave them for while. This way at least you feel the grave is marked showing someone cares whereas the live flowers wilt and dye and disappear and then who has the time or money to keep replacing them to keep from having a bare grave? I dunno. I like them.
The cemeteries I am familiar with allow artificial flowers around holidays for a week before and a week after. Then they throw them away.

I think the rule is because of people like you wanting to keep the same flowers there for long periods of time. Artificial doesn't look good after awhile. The life of real flowers is about right for the same flowers at the same grave.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:05 AM

34,571 posts, read 42,724,437 times
I have told my family if they put fake flowers on my grave, I'll haunt them. Tacky tacky tacky.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 AM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have told my family if they put fake flowers on my grave, I'll haunt them. Tacky tacky tacky.
Have to agree, dont like them at all.. its like saying its cheaper to leave these ghastly over colourful creations than visit once a week to put fresh flowers... I saw one grave covered in them from the actual burial from 2006 in our Necropolis and it looked awful..Some graveyards now have a flower and plant policy where you can only leave flowers at the actual tombstone but the land is to be kept clear for mowing.. and quite honestly it looks much neater.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,775,544 times
Because people bring gawd-awful looking bunches of plastic flowers in colors not found in nature and it sits there, fading and getting wind-blown and tattered until someone finally takes pity on the poor deceased and removes the offensive lump of plastic from their grave.

I'm one of those "dead is dead" people, who don't feel moved to make weekly or monthly pilgrimages to a gravesite. My mother, on the other hand, likes to visit my dad's gravesite regularly, and switches out nice silk flowers every month or two, depending on the season, to keep them fresh-looking. I asked her "why not let's take real flowers"? To her, that was a dreadful waste of money: "They don't last!" Oh, well. Not my monkeys, not my circus.

This is one reason I'd rather be cremated and have my ashes scattered. I don't want to be a source of guilt 20 or 30 years after I'm gone. :-) If you want to remember me, do something nice for someone else.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM

5,607 posts, read 4,160,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Because people bring gawd-awful looking bunches of plastic flowers in colors not found in nature and it sits there, fading and getting wind-blown and tattered until someone finally takes pity on the poor deceased and removes the offensive lump of plastic from their grave.

I'm one of those "dead is dead" people, who don't feel moved to make weekly or monthly pilgrimages to a gravesite. My mother, on the other hand, likes to visit my dad's gravesite regularly, and switches out nice silk flowers every month or two, depending on the season, to keep them fresh-looking. I asked her "why not let's take real flowers"? To her, that was a dreadful waste of money: "They don't last!" Oh, well. Not my monkeys, not my circus.

This is one reason I'd rather be cremated and have my ashes scattered. I don't want to be a source of guilt 20 or 30 years after I'm gone. :-) If you want to remember me, do something nice for someone else.

Me too. I don't want anyone to have to "visit" me when I'm dead nor do I want to take up space that could be used by the living.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:55 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,718,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
because people bring gawd-awful looking bunches of plastic flowers in colors not found in nature and it sits there, fading and getting wind-blown and tattered until someone finally takes pity on the poor deceased and removes the offensive lump of plastic from their grave.
+1.

Tacky.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:59 PM

14,510 posts, read 11,489,335 times
I like graveyards or churchyards, theyre crammed full of history.. they tell so much that would be forgotten in time... we have an old graveyard half a mile from my house where Abe Lincolns minister is buried.. now I woulnt have known he had a Scots minister if I hadnt read the tombstone on a visit many years ago.... also in the same graveyard is the graves of the Calton Weavers who were shot in Glasgow.The Calton weavers were a community of handweavers established in the community of Calton, then in Lanarkshire just outside Glasgow, Scotland in the 18th century.[1] In 1787 the weavers went on strike. Troops opened fire on the demonstrators and six weavers were killed.[2] In the early 19th century, many of the weavers emigrated to Canada, settling in Carleton Place and other communities in eastern Ontario, where they continued their trade, all this and more in a tiny graveyard... I never see flowers at all in there when passing though.. probably no one gets buried there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or