U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 12:08 AM

808 posts, read 384,292 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 02:31 PM

22,860 posts, read 21,928,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What an insightful comment.

While I agree it's best to try and not stray from the routine, sometimes people aren't up to it.

And your children were certainly old enough to know that their dad lost his dad, but seemed to make it all about themselves. No, "I feel so bad for dad", granted they were pre-teen and a teenager and those are the selfish years.

But as adults they're still saying that?

You should be surprised, because as adults there should be something like "I didn't realize years ago how selfish of me to not think while we lost our grandfather, dad lost his father".
I didn't feel that way. Well, I did, but my son talked me out of it. He was a teenager at the time. "Get up mom. We are going to go shopping. We are going to buy holiday food and a tree and decorate it." He told me to bake a turkey, or do something that moms did, so, I did the things that moms do.

My husband was completely devastated after the loss of his dad. The holidays were a bit quiet that year, but we still did the usual things. There's a certain comfort in keeping family tradition.

In the long run, it was better than not doing anything.

The year my father had two heart attacks and lost his job, I did Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was 17. There wouldn't have been anything otherwise.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 PM

41,283 posts, read 32,977,860 times
My father just passed away the end of October and I will be hosting the family Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Will there be some tears? Yes. Will all of us miss my father terribly? Yes. But as others have said, life goes on. And there are children involved - they love the holidays and it's about them, and about family, and we are still a family.

I don't think my dad would appreciate or condone us sitting around gloomy or downplaying the holidays. He would think that was sort of ridiculous in fact.

I am not feeling my usual festive self but I'm sure I'll get through it. I was a daddy's girl all the way and he LOVED Thanksgiving - it was his favorite holiday. So I'm going to do it up right - it's what he would want me to do.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:51 PM

21,595 posts, read 18,242,882 times
My condolences, Kathryn.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:12 PM

57 posts, read 72,848 times
All my condolences for your loss.

My family stopped doing a big turkey dinner at home on Thanksgiving after both my grandparents passed. We go out to have the turkey dinner special at Black Angus instead. No dishes to wash for hours and no having to rearrange chairs or any of that.

Mom still does the big Christmas dinner with the honey baked ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies, rolls and deviled eggs. I always associate the smell of honey baked ham with Christmas day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or