U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 11:42 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article about the people who have a hard time working through the grief process and a way that is being used to try to help them.

The People Who Can't Stop Grieving - Digg

I especially appreciate that the author addresses the issue of the mental health profession stigmatizing common human issues and behaviors as illnesses, simply to get insurance companies to pay for treatment and education. I have other thoughts and comments that I will leave unsaid so that people in need can focus on the article and, if appropriate, pursue that line of support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 03:24 PM

21,438 posts, read 18,150,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This is an interesting article about the people who have a hard time working through the grief process and a way that is being used to try to help them.

The People Who Can't Stop Grieving - Digg

I especially appreciate that the author addresses the issue of the mental health profession stigmatizing common human issues and behaviors as illnesses, simply to get insurance companies to pay for treatment and education. I have other thoughts and comments that I will leave unsaid so that people in need can focus on the article and, if appropriate, pursue that line of support.
Thank you, harry. That was a very good article. It made me realize I wasn't so odd because it took me over 4 years to start coming out of my grief. It was tough and I did it alone but I am okay now. At least I think I am!! LOL.

The writer, Andrea Volpe, is probably related to John Volpe, past governor of Massachusetts. My family and I knew his sister when I was a little girl. Very, very nice lady.

Again, thanks for posting that.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:31 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times
Thank you for that really good article. I found a lot to agree with. I also would not weigh in how to classify complicated grief for reasons of insurance, but even in my limited, non-professional experience, I have seen this a couple of times. As for myself, I find myself in the "recovery path" group, I think. I do believe that facing our grief squarely, not avoiding it, is the only way we can work through the adjustment. I have not been impressed with the "stages of grief" approach of Kubler-Ross. Although those labeled parts of the process seem to be there in many of us, they are all jumbled, and don't proceed in any order or in stages, so I find the whole theory to be unhelpful. It was interesting to me that the psychiatrist, Katherine Shear, had a terror of sitting with grieving people, yet developed the CGT method to help those with complicated grief. I guess it fits with the old axiom that often those who want to heal others are also trying to heal themselves.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:02 PM

My mother always said "every psychiatrist needs one." LOL, maybe that's why one of my career choices was being a shrink!

Old 11-28-2016, 05:31 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,149,409 times
Glad to have read this article.

Due to the events that led up to my beloved mom's death...my pstd went underground ...and came to the surface in full force. It will be four years now since those months of trauma... most do not know the
Mental/emotional purgatory of the afflicted. I do. Pleased that it's being addressed...and taken Seriously.

I can relate to being closed off to humanity.

Let insurance help...our mental health system needs a boost of support instead of shame for seeking help.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:27 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,316,975 times
"Let insurance help...our mental health system needs a boost of support instead of shame for seeking help."

Regrettably, certain jobs and certain laws effectively penalize those who seek help and become diagnosed. Grieve too much, get labeled, and you could lose a security clearance. In the everyday world, policies and laws aimed (and probably rightly so) against gun ownership by those with mental illness and impaired judgment are so broad that they can affect people working as security guards, collectors of antique firearms, and other innocents. The stigma of any MH diagnosis is a modern day scarlet letter, even with HIPAA, and gun ownership is just one documented example of how a diagnosis can ruin lives.

What passes for a mental health system in this country is an abomination of a tattered carpet made lumpy with all of the unserved swept under it and ignored, and the criminalization of many of those in need of help.

If help can be found outside of the system, or procured with minimal documentation -even if it costs more up front-, that may be a better path than throwing oneself into the unreliable mosh pit of an insurance payment system where providers only get money when you get diagnosed with "covered" illnesses. Coverage these days is generally only for the fast acting and lower cost therapies anyway, which statistically works great for insurers covering a mass of people, but not for some individuals in that group.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:16 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,463,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv
Thank you, harry. That was a very good article. It made me realize I wasn't so odd because it took me over 4 years to start coming out of my grief.
Everyone takes different times to get over something so horrible.......... Its unfair for someone to say anything bad about those who cant get by it..... THEY ARE NOT THEM,they dont know what they are going thru.....

Everyone has thier own pace

Old 11-30-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Everyone takes different times to get over something so horrible.......... Its unfair for someone to say anything bad about those who cant get by it..... THEY ARE NOT THEM,they dont know what they are going thru.....

Everyone has thier own pace
Thank you very much, Dude.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,778,598 times
Thank you for posting this article.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Yes, grief is a process. I am no stranger to it, I have lost my husband, parents, grands, aunts, and uncles. But they taught me something before they died. Life is finite and endless grieving would be a waste of the time you have. I always told my H if I died first, his job was to have the very best life possible and live it to the max. Well, he died first so the do-over is mine. I can either spend the rest of my life crying over my loss or go out there and have the best life possible.

There are still some times I fake it till I make it but it does get easier. My grandfather died in 1966. My grandmother went on to live another 30+ years alone. And every minute of the rest of her life was defined by her widowhood. If you asked her what she had done for the last 30 years her answer would have been that she was a widow. She wasted a perfectly good life. I didn't want that to happen to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or