U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 AM

21,438 posts, read 18,150,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post

TG was thought of a Yankee holiday for a long time. Southerners during that time thought it was ridiculous to be grateful on just one day of the year.
We Yankees are just following the tradition set by the Pilgrims. Being from "America's Hometown", Plymouth, we couldn't NOT celebrate. The tradition is out of respect. It never occurred to me that southerners didn't observe the holiday. Where else did you all come from originally? Yankees! * I do not mean you ALL but the true blood lines of generations down there.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 PM

22,708 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
LOL, Gerania, thank goodness for the dessert. My goodness, your loved ones really had timing! I'm so sorry most holidays have been tarnished for you. My dad died on Columbus Day so no biggie there. I WAS asked to Thanksgiving dinner the first few years but I only went to the 2nd year actually to be polite. I preferred to stay by myself. I was so miserable that I wanted to just suffer by myself. This is the first year I haven't been miserable and having "come out of it" finally, I wish the same feelings for everyone. It really feels good to be back amongst the living.
My dad was born on October 12th, so I always remember his birthday because of the holiday.

I know the 'curl up in a ball and suffer by myself' feeling. You want me to get dressed? What? LOL

The second and third year I was invited to someone's home for dinner. One was a little sad. It was a guy I'd known for years. He was a widower and disabled. He'd helped with dinner prep the day before and in the morning, and he was so tired he didn't eat the meal. His caregiver was a scrappy older guy with a rich sense of humor. I'd known him for a while, but didn't realize how funny he was. He and I ate together. Pat finally got up and we watched a football game. I dozed off in the recliner.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:48 PM

90 posts, read 154,914 times
Thanksgiving was just a bit depressing this year. My husband had his last Thanksgiving at home on hospice two years ago; I lost him in March 2015. Last year my MIL and BIL invited me to spend Thanksgiving with them but not this year.
Fortunately my daughter and I got together with her friends and roommates this year. She's finally really living on her own now and doing well at work and it really sunk in today being a widow and having an empty nest.

It's just so different after spending nearly 18 years with my husbands family that it has all changed for sure this year. But I should instead of feeling depressed about it that it's just a new page in this transition and I will adjust

Old 11-24-2016, 10:49 PM

7,963 posts, read 6,716,042 times
cat

You are correct. It is a new page in the transition. Traditional family things (like Thanksgiving Dinner) do change even in the best of times. Onward with the new traditions.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina_yucaipa View Post
Thanksgiving was just a bit depressing this year. My husband had his last Thanksgiving at home on hospice two years ago; I lost him in March 2015. Last year my MIL and BIL invited me to spend Thanksgiving with them but not this year.
Fortunately my daughter and I got together with her friends and roommates this year. She's finally really living on her own now and doing well at work and it really sunk in today being a widow and having an empty nest.

It's just so different after spending nearly 18 years with my husbands family that it has all changed for sure this year. But I should instead of feeling depressed about it that it's just a new page in this transition and I will adjust
I'm sorry you in-laws didn't ask you this year but I like how your daughter and her friends stepped up and caused you to contemplate. Very glad you had a good time. My condolences for your loss.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times
Well, I'm back from our Thanksgiving visit to our friends. It was really quite nice. My husband was not ignored, but people did talk about him a number of times, he was mentioned in our Thanksgiving prayer, and a few people asked about him and about how I am doing. I think, in fact, that bringing up the subject of my sad memories of Thanksgiving here on CD was actually a good thing. I wrote my OP about a week before, and that gave me time to think about it, be sad about it, and by the time the holiday had come, I think I was not living in that memory any more, like I had a chance to process it before hand. So actually, I had a pretty good time. I think my son also had a good time. I hope all of you also had a Thanksgiving that was better than expected. Now, on to Christmas, another hard holiday. But hopefully, it will turn out better than expected also.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:26 AM

I'm so very glad you had a good time, GG. I'm super glad that your posting may have been a catalyst for you.

Thank you, dear. I, too, had a great Thanksgiving. First one I have enjoyed in 4 years. No one down here knew my husband and that was fine with me. I talked about present day things and the memories I have been making with these people the past few months. It was a good time and I am going to Christmas Eve dinner over with them. I expect to have another pleasant holiday. My landlady is having a standing rib roast for Christmas. Can't do better than that!

Old 11-26-2016, 04:01 PM

5,529 posts, read 1,950,375 times
I'm so glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, Grasshopper. May your Christmas be just as nice. *Hugs*

Old 11-27-2016, 01:37 AM

459 posts, read 520,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
We Yankees are just following the tradition set by the Pilgrims. Being from "America's Hometown", Plymouth, we couldn't NOT celebrate. The tradition is out of respect. It never occurred to me that southerners didn't observe the holiday. Where else did you all come from originally? Yankees! * I do not mean you ALL but the true blood lines of generations down there.*
The traditional Thanksgiving foods (for example, cranberries) did not grow in the South, so we didn't identify with them. Ditto pumpkin. It also had a lot to do with President Lincoln establishing the national day of thanksgiving--he was not well regarded down here at the time, you may remember. It was not until after Reconstruction that the South embraced Thanksgiving; also, at that time Southerners decided to include foods such as sweet potatoes and greens.

With all due respect to the Pilgrims, what is thought of as the traditional meal probably included things like seafood, rather than a Butterball turkey and Mrs. Smith's pumpkin pie, although they probably had some kind of corn pudding courtesy of the Native Americans.

My forebears came over directly to Georgia from Scotland and England, nowhere near Ellis Island or the northern climes, BTW.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:09 AM

Thank you for your story ,lizzytst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning