U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,725,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Nickchick, I'm not a professional counselor, but to some degree, I do empathize with your feelings. One thing I can say helps with feelings of isolation is to find a way to help others. Somehow, when we concentrate more on the ways we can be of service and less on our own problems, things seem to work out better. There are a million ways to do this, but I'm sure you can find something that seems to fit for you. Volunteer at a foodbank, read to children or help them with their work as a school volunteer, find a nature outfit and help them with planting native plants or restoring a creek, be a volunteer docent at an art museum or someplace else that interests you, drive seniors to doctors' appointments, etc. There are a multitude of things. Try different things until you find a good fit. (I would encourage you to try something for several visits before deciding it doesn't work) I know this sounds a little hokey, but giving your life more meaning by helping in some way is a good way to start turning you life around.

Well I give people advice online a lot and when I can't give them advice I offer them sympathy/comfort. Some people have even thanked me but I get nothing out of it because I still sit there like "well my mom still has to take care of me"
I did a few volunteer things in school and it didn't really make me feel anything. Then the coach I had forced me into it by stopping her services because I didn't do it so that made me want to do it even less than before.
My issue is I need to make money or I'm worth nothing to myself so I did penny sites for a while but lately they've been getting really old. I can't do them like I used to.

There was something that would have made me more happy but I didn't win the contest. I guess it was for the best because it might have been a lot of pressure but I still get disappointed about it at times because it would have looked great on my resume AND I'd spend time with a person I admire.

The one thing that would make me feel whole is to work with musicians because music is one of my few strong passions. I always say "I'm a woman of limited interests". When I would make fan montages, I felt accomplished so that's when I realized that designing music videos is what I want to do with the rest of my life but it's so hard to get into. I'm always told you have to have more schooling to do that and I don't feel accomplished learning about it. I just want to get started.

I think I would also feel better if I had gotten my license but now I feel too old to learn and I get overwhelmed because it doesn't seem like I can even pass the permit test anymore.

I just want to have a job I can tolerate and then if I feel the same I would consider volunteering because I know I would be doing it expecting to get paid and that's not the purpose of volunteering.

Last edited by Nickchick; 12-06-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning