U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:24 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,755,416 times

Advertisements

Clueless and tasteless, please don't tell me this ended up as a social media selfie with the deceased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 01:36 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,510,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Isn't it considered in bad taste to snap pictures of family and people at funerals? My Father passed away recently and I know I will encounter an odd cousin who seems to think it's a family reunion and loves to snap pix of everyone at funerals. I am concerned he will do this yet again at my Fathers funeral and I am not really in the mood for a cheerful photoshoot. Not to mention IO have 2 young daughters and this guy has been in trouble in the past having inappropriate photos of young girls. How would you handle this person?
Are you joking.. what the hell is he doing coming near a funeral when you know hes been in bother for indecent photography.. sorry if this isnt a wind up but your asking our advice on him taking photos at your fathers funeral when you would surely have more to worry about with this man..and exactly how many other family funerals have you been to with this man..

Old 02-05-2017, 03:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 944,062 times
Thoughtless and Offensive.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 670,077 times
I saw a guy taking pictures of the deceased at a funeral once. I thought it was classless and disgusting.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:29 PM

953 posts, read 607,305 times
Opinions might vary from culture to culture. But generally, respect the dead, and let people mourn in peace.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,510,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Opinions might vary from culture to culture. But generally, respect the dead, and let people mourn in peace.
but this is more about the man taking the photos, hes been done for taking dodgy photos of kids.. he shouldnt even be there in the first place never mind him taking photos of the mourners.. if this is all true. hes a sicko .

Old 02-06-2017, 08:55 AM

4,121 posts, read 1,727,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Clueless and tasteless, please don't tell me this ended up as a social media selfie with the deceased.
Couldn't agree more...taking a pic of your dead mom??? WTF.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:43 AM

5,585 posts, read 4,793,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Hey, I will go one step furthur.....why even have a funeral in this and age, its a racket. I mean do they really make anyone feel better? On that note, if someone doesn't want photos taken, then close the casket.
It's the families decision. If they want an open casket and no pictures that is the way it should be.

Some people do feel better with a funeral.

Everything is a racket. Better not spend anything anywhere for any reason.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 AM

5,580 posts, read 5,373,293 times
Not a funeral but, my mother was in hospice, and family members were posing for photos, myself included. Honestly, I never would have done that on my own, but there were family members I hadn't seen in a while; many of which I would have only seen the last time a patriarch in the family died. It is what it is. But it was odd considering she wasn't even aware that we were in there, let alone of the state of mind to be able to enjoy the fact that we were there to visit her, or in that case, visit each other. Seeing her like that was probably worse than seeing her in the casket, because to me she was already gone by that point.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:08 AM

16,785 posts, read 19,658,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Sorry for your loss.

No it isn't considered bad taste.

Many family members may not have seen each other for several years, and may not see each other again for several more. In many cases funerals and weddings DO serve as family reunions.

If you are an only child then you certainly should have your wishes granted, but if you have other siblings, perhaps their input might be sought as well.

Ultimately it is a personal decision and the wishes of the family (all of them) should come first.
Yes, it is.

This isn't a family reunion picnic. It's tacky. If people are coming in from out of the area than they're there for more than one day, take pictures at a restaurant, at their hotel, etc.

Not at the funeral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The covering of mirrors is still done in the Jewish communitiy, I believe.
Yes, it is. It's done because the idea is you shouldn't looking at yourself and thinking about yourself at this time. Something we seem to be losing in this social "all about me" media society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Are you joking.. what the hell is he doing coming near a funeral when you know hes been in bother for indecent photography.. sorry if this isnt a wind up but your asking our advice on him taking photos at your fathers funeral when you would surely have more to worry about with this man..and exactly how many other family funerals have you been to with this man..
Exactly! Why is this man even coming?

OP, very sorry for your loss. But why does your family allow this guy near children? He shouldn't even be coming, talk about the black sheep of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning