Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:59 PM

371 posts, read 365,531 times

Advertisements

Isn't it considered in bad taste to snap pictures of family and people at funerals? My Father passed away recently and I know I will encounter an odd cousin who seems to think it's a family reunion and loves to snap pix of everyone at funerals. I am concerned he will do this yet again at my Fathers funeral and I am not really in the mood for a cheerful photoshoot. Not to mention IO have 2 young daughters and this guy has been in trouble in the past having inappropriate photos of young girls. How would you handle this person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 06:48 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I would tell this cousin directly "NO photos at the funeral or reception." This is your right to request. It should be a condition of his coming to the funeral. If you know he has done this before, don't drop hints; tell him directly. If he agrees, I would alert another male member of your family, and if he tries to do it (even though he has agreed not to) have that person deal with him. Taking photos at funerals is in poor taste if everyone does not agree. Sometimes there are "celebrations of life" where people might want this. But if the family doesn't want it, then it should not be done. Period.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,012 times
sorry for your loss..

....tell him, NO PHOTOS!!...if he still shows up with his camera, punch him in the face...sorry, just my two cents

Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 PM

574 posts, read 376,948 times
Just tell him he is not invited as he has no understanding of boundaries.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:35 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
You can also ask the funeral director to ask folks with cameras to return the equipment to the car. They usually stand near the door to direct folks, so he could be your first line of defense.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:35 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
I'm not sure what the big deal is... when i die I would prefer my family to have the cliche celebration of life. Rather than gloom I'd rather people be laughing and smiling. If they want to make a family reunion out of it then great. Snap pics have the reception put doors with some of my favorite music. Much more my style and how I'd want to be remembered than a stuffy event. I find these things to not be disrespectful.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I'm not sure what the big deal is... when i die I would prefer my family to have the cliche celebration of life. Rather than gloom I'd rather people be laughing and smiling. If they want to make a family reunion out of it then great. Snap pics have the reception put doors with some of my favorite music. Much more my style and how I'd want to be remembered than a stuffy event. I find these things to not be disrespectful.
That is fine for you; you can request a service how ever you want. But everyone is not you. As said before, if the family doesn't want it, then no photos should be taken.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:44 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
My brother's funeral was photographed by the funeral director's staff to give to my brother's daughter. I had to ask his daughter not to post photos on Facebook of all of us crying and sobbing at his graveside, which is what she had planned to do. She finally just posted general photos of the military service, without any photos of us grieving.

I'd grab your odd cousin's camera and hide it from him.

I'm sorry for your loss, Tabbychic

Old 02-04-2017, 02:36 PM

529 posts, read 369,908 times
Sorry for your loss.

No it isn't considered bad taste.

Many family members may not have seen each other for several years, and may not see each other again for several more. In many cases funerals and weddings DO serve as family reunions.

If you are an only child then you certainly should have your wishes granted, but if you have other siblings, perhaps their input might be sought as well.

Ultimately it is a personal decision and the wishes of the family (all of them) should come first.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:53 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
Is this REALLY about photos? I kinda can't believe THAT is why the OP doesn't want the guy there.

If I had some family member or friend of the family who has gotten in trouble for having pics of underage children, he would not be allowed in the funeral home at all. I'd post my biggest, toughest looking cousins at the door and keep him the heck away from everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning