U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM

848 posts, read 445,090 times

Advertisements

I agree with you OP . People love drama and love the attention they get even being a supporting cast member in that drama.

Recently I went through several family deaths (including my mother). What is upsetting are the number of people who posted about it on their Facebooks and immediately had friends wishing them well. But they never posted any condolences on the Facebooks of actual family members. Nor did they send flowers or notes or food or anything. In the end the loss was all about the attention they could get (because frankly the loss was not a big deal to them). I honestly don't think people are objective with why they post on social media at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 09:58 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,707,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's ridiculous to you and that's fine, everyone has a right to grieve how they want. When I was a kid and someone passed away our mom used to say we couldn't watch TV. Eventually she rescinded that rule. I think it's just old school where you are not supposed to be entertained while you mourn. I personally would be ashamed if a friend passed and I start posting nonsense of where I was and what I did that day on in the following days. I saw other friends one who was also a good friend with the person who passed post about helping a friend move and about the Superbowl. If it were me and I wanted to let people know I moved I would wait a week or two to post it. Facebook is mostly drivel unless it's something important like condolences for someone passing. I don't need to know you were upset because you were stuck on a train because someone was hit on the tracks and got home late.
Except your FB friend? No one forces anyone else to read other people's posts.

You don't need to know about someone being stuck on a train?

Everyone can post whatever they want because it is THEIR page. Feel free to ignore what they post.

Sorry but from my perspective you seem to be making it all about YOU, and I mean EVERY little bit of it.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM

3,476 posts, read 4,551,410 times
Quote:
It's ridiculous to you and that's fine, everyone has a right to grieve how they want.
Except that this entire thread was started by you saying exactly the opposite of that. Try not to care about how other people are doing things when they don't impact you in any way whatsoever- you'll be much, much happier.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM

1,229 posts, read 964,113 times
Quote:
You are not one to determine and define what Facebook is for. You are making this all about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Pot, meet Kettle.
Agreed 100% convextech

Nobody gets to dictate how someone else uses their FB profile, or FB in general (except for FB Terms of Service). OP, you run your FB page how you want (no funnies or politico for a while because you're mourning the deceased) and accept that others get to do the same. The end.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM

10,270 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Except that this entire thread was started by you saying exactly the opposite of that. Try not to care about how other people are doing things when they don't impact you in any way whatsoever- you'll be much, much happier.
No it was not about his grief, but his need for attention and sympathy and to make it all about him instead of posing on the person who passed away's page.

I get that people who live their lives on Facebook would have a problem with that.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:56 PM

5,091 posts, read 9,044,316 times
Quote:
No it was not about his grief, but his need for attention and sympathy and to make it all about him instead of posing on the person who passed away's page.

I get that people who live their lives on Facebook would have a problem with that.
The irony here is so thick it could be cut with a knife.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 PM

2,133 posts, read 863,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Except your FB friend? No one forces anyone else to read other people's posts.

You don't need to know about someone being stuck on a train?

Everyone can post whatever they want because it is THEIR page. Feel free to ignore what they post.

Sorry but from my perspective you seem to be making it all about YOU, and I mean EVERY little bit of it.
Says the person who would lose their mind if nobody looked at/commented on their page.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:09 PM

10,270 posts, read 6,500,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
The irony here is so thick it could be cut with a knife.
So if you complain about a fish that makes you a fish in your world?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
It's not for any of us to dictate how someone else grieves, what they do while they're grieving, or how they choose to inform others that they are sorry that a friend died.

If you're so grief stricken yourself over this loss, why are you posting on City-Data about someone else's actions? Shouldn't you be off grieving somewhere?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:50 PM

23,909 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
You are very wrong. I am very saddened. This person was my friend and it's a tragic loss. I just don't like someone else making it all about them. Sure you can post so your other friends who didn't know can send condolences, but post on the person's page who passed away, not just on your own.
Personally I would never post on a page that belongs to someone that has passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or