U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:58 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,780,727 times

Advertisements

I am administrator of a Facebook group. When a member dies I post it so people that actually know the person will be informed. I have never gotten a like but I have been thanked for letting people know.

Otherwise I agree with the comedian. I think it is about the person posting. Why do they have to tell others how they feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,902,346 times
Yeah if a Facebook friend died I wouldn't post something on their page, that to me seems an odd thing to do. I fail to see how simply posting something on your own timeline is to make it about yourself though? When a big celebrity dies lots of people will post "R.I.P XXXXXX" or make a comment about their passing, is that making it about them too?? How strange...

Old 02-07-2017, 06:54 PM

11,612 posts, read 5,457,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Sounds a little odd and selfish on the surface, though we know not for sure their true intentions. Could it be in this day and age we live in that some people just forget about the basics. Yes, the age old tradition for many cultures to offer condolences first and foremost to the deceased , in this case on their FB page and then , only then on the own personal page.

Facebook, what else could you really expect?. Everything turned on it's head, conventions and traditions be damned, get that selfie up there at any cost, this is Social Media and we make up our own rules.

Is Facebook creating a world where nothing is ever sacred anymore?
I don't get this at all. Everyone in my family and her friends posted our grief over our loss on our own pages about my sister.

We still post pictures of her we find and chat with each other about them on whoever's page posted them.

There is no contest. Or rules that we should only post on her page. I've never heard of this rule. I see everyone posting their own grief on their own pages all the time.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,048,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A friend passed away recently, he was only 51. So a mutual friend posts on his FB page instead of posting on the deceased person's page or their partner's page. They made it all about themselves and got a lot of responses with consolement. Mind you this person wasn't even good friends with this person, he just hung around him in parties or social gatherings.
Many people post on their own page about someone's passing. That's their place for their personal thoughts. I don't see the harm. If you don't like it, you're free to scroll on past.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:14 PM

10,265 posts, read 6,491,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't get this at all. Everyone in my family and her friends posted our grief over our loss on our own pages about my sister.

We still post pictures of her we find and chat with each other about them on whoever's page posted them.

There is no contest. Or rules that we should only post on her page. I've never heard of this rule. I see everyone posting their own grief on their own pages all the time.
If it's a sibling or a very close friend that makes more sense, but I wouldn't for an acquaintance like this person did.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Because I was friends with the person who died and I knew who his other friends were, this person was more of an acquaintance and is looking for attention on Facebook. There is nothing wrong with his grief, but he did post about an event/rally he went to on Saturday, so he wasn't that shaken up.
Life goes on. A person can continue to go on and do the things they have going on in their lives and still mourn. There's no law that says a person in mourn must stay home. You really have no idea how upset this person is or isn't. Who died and put you in charge of how others should feel, grieve, post, or live their lives? Maybe worry more about yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
But you made his passing about you when you started the thread complaining about someone else doing what you just did.
Exactly this^^^!

Quote:
You are not one to determine and define what Facebook is for. You are making this all about you.
Wow. Thanks for the laugh! I actually laughed out loud.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
If it's a sibling or a very close friend that makes more sense, but I wouldn't for an acquaintance like this person did.
That's what YOU would do. That's not what everyone else on earth would do. Everything isn't about you.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:45 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
This has happened long before facebook. Facebook just makes it really, really easy. Kind of like Political "activism."

Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I am administrator of a Facebook group. When a member dies I post it so people that actually know the person will be informed. I have never gotten a like but I have been thanked for letting people know.

Otherwise I agree with the comedian. I think it is about the person posting. Why do they have to tell others how they feel?
For every person that says "My thoughts and prayers are with you" how many actually pray for whoever has been killed or lost a family member? It's just something to say and politicians are the worst for doing it after every terrorist attack. True some might actually say a prayer but how many really?

Old 02-08-2017, 08:00 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
For every person that says "My thoughts and prayers are with you" how many actually pray for whoever has been killed or lost a family member?
I do. But in any case, what's it to you if they don't? It's a way to express condolences. You don't have to like it. Just unfollow and move on if it bothers you that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or