Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
For every person that says "My thoughts and prayers are with you" how many actually pray for whoever has been killed or lost a family member? It's just something to say and politicians are the worst for doing it after every terrorist attack. True some might actually say a prayer but how many really?
During regular services at my synagogue, there is a time where everyone in the congregation is given the opportunity to mention anyone they are thinking about who may need prayers for physical healing or support for mental or emotional troubles, and another time to remember those who have died. So yes, when I say my thoughts and prayers are with someone, I mean that in an active sense. Whether anything is actually accomplished by that is of course an open question, but there are in fact some interesting studies regarding the power of prayer and whether or not it does anything.

Brain images reveal first physical evidence that AA prayers reduce cravings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM

841 posts, read 553,150 times
There are lots of people that I would care if they passed, but we might not currently be close enough to be FB friends. If a mutual friend didn't post about it on their own page, I might never find out. If they had posted only on the deceased person's page, I'd never be able to see it.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:28 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A friend passed away recently, he was only 51. So a mutual friend posts on his FB page instead of posting on the deceased person's page or their partner's page. They made it all about themselves and got a lot of responses with consolement. Mind you this person wasn't even good friends with this person, he just hung around him in parties or social gatherings.

That doesn't mean that this mutual friend doesn't sincerely grieve the passing of your deceased friend. Putting it on his FB page and expressing his sorrow is certainly allowable. People express all kinds of emotions on FB (as we have seen in the last year ) He isn't responsible for how others respond to his expression of sadness. Many people feel compelled to offer some sort of consolation when a friend expresses sorrow over ANY situation -- their parakeet died, their mother died, their car died -- anything will get some sort of reaction.

In this case, however, I think you are OVERreacting to a simple FB post. Let it go. Unless he shows up at the funeral and demands to sit on the front row, he's just expressing his sorrow in his way.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
What scribbles76 said; narcissism is rampant on FB.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What scribbles76 said; narcissism is rampant on FB.
Maybe it just seems that way because everyone's page is theirs. MySpace would actually be a more fitting name because that is the whole point. This is MY space to say what I want.

Everything has to be for other people too in every aspect of our lives. At least for normal people. It's nice to have a place that is OURS.

I do not have to care what other people think about what I post. They are not forced to be friended with me on there or to have my posts show up in their feed if they don't want to. Everyone controls their own content.

If someone bothers me too much I unfollow them so their posts don't show in my feed and annoy me. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning