Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,184,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

I also think if a friend passed away you should refrain about posting other things for at least a week. I won't be posting political or humorous things out of respect for a while.
Sorry but this is ridiculous. If you choose to isolate yourself in that manner, that's fine, but there is no way this should be some etiquette rule. I posted sooner than that after my own father died, because the rest of the world kept on going even after his death and I chose to remain in the world as a way to take me out of myself and my grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,741,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Sorry but this is ridiculous. If you choose to isolate yourself in that manner, that's fine, but there is no way this should be some etiquette rule. I posted sooner than that after my own father died, because the rest of the world kept on going even after his death and I chose to remain in the world as a way to take me out of myself and my grief.
It's ridiculous to you and that's fine, everyone has a right to grieve how they want. When I was a kid and someone passed away our mom used to say we couldn't watch TV. Eventually she rescinded that rule. I think it's just old school where you are not supposed to be entertained while you mourn. I personally would be ashamed if a friend passed and I start posting nonsense of where I was and what I did that day on in the following days. I saw other friends one who was also a good friend with the person who passed post about helping a friend move and about the Superbowl. If it were me and I wanted to let people know I moved I would wait a week or two to post it. Facebook is mostly drivel unless it's something important like condolences for someone passing. I don't need to know you were upset because you were stuck on a train because someone was hit on the tracks and got home late.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,273,867 times
Quote:
You are very wrong. I am very saddened. This person was my friend and it's a tragic loss. I just don't like someone else making it all about them. Sure you can post so your other friends who didn't know can send condolences, but post on the person's page who passed away, not just on your own.
Sounds a little odd and selfish on the surface, though we know not for sure their true intentions. Could it be in this day and age we live in that some people just forget about the basics. Yes, the age old tradition for many cultures to offer condolences first and foremost to the deceased , in this case on their FB page and then , only then on the own personal page.

Facebook, what else could you really expect?. Everything turned on it's head, conventions and traditions be damned, get that selfie up there at any cost, this is Social Media and we make up our own rules.

Is Facebook creating a world where nothing is ever sacred anymore?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:02 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,936,835 times
This isn't bad. People want to express their grief and want others to know about for their comfort.

The most disgusting thing a Facebook user has done was film a horrific aftermath of a car accident, where he showed a disfigured dead woman and a decapitated man, and upload it on Facebook, tagging his friends.

This is unforgivable. I reported the video. I hope people like that are questioned.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,201,370 times
Quote:
You are very wrong. I am very saddened. This person was my friend and it's a tragic loss. I just don't like someone else making it all about them. Sure you can post so your other friends who didn't know can send condolences, but post on the person's page who passed away, not just on your own.
But you made his passing about you when you started the thread complaining about someone else doing what you just did.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,196,835 times
Quote:
Thanks, you are right it's immature to demand so much attention. He's not a bad guy, some people just don't realize how big their egos are.

I also think if a friend passed away you should refrain about posting other things for at least a week. I won't be posting political or humorous things out of respect for a while.
Sorry about your loss.

Your opinion is what you should abide by. But you do not have the right to dictate what others decide to do, or how they decide to share their grief.

It makes it look like you are making this about you. Which you are in a sense. Do you see that?

Old 02-07-2017, 03:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,196,835 times
Quote:
It's ridiculous to you and that's fine, everyone has a right to grieve how they want. When I was a kid and someone passed away our mom used to say we couldn't watch TV. Eventually she rescinded that rule. I think it's just old school where you are not supposed to be entertained while you mourn. I personally would be ashamed if a friend passed and I start posting nonsense of where I was and what I did that day on in the following days. I saw other friends one who was also a good friend with the person who passed post about helping a friend move and about the Superbowl. If it were me and I wanted to let people know I moved I would wait a week or two to post it. Facebook is mostly drivel unless it's something important like condolences for someone passing. I don't need to know you were upset because you were stuck on a train because someone was hit on the tracks and got home late.
That is correct.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:47 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,396,093 times
Quote:
I think it's just old school where you are not supposed to be entertained while you mourn.
I saw other friends one who was also a good friend with the person who passed post about helping a friend move and about the Superbowl.
You are contradicting yourself here. So it's okay for you to be 'entertained' watching TV, but God forbid someone else actually posts about the way they are being entertained.

There's this thing called 'Unfollow' on Facebook. Perhaps you should use it more often.

Life does, in fact, go on.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sorry about your loss.

Your opinion is what you should abide by. But you do not have the right to dictate what others decide to do, or how they decide to share their grief.

It makes it look like you are making this about you. Which you are in a sense. Do you see that?
How is commenting my opinion on a message board making it about me? No one knows me here, none of my friends that I know of post here, I'm just stating my view, and I'm aware people have other views which are fine. Some people grieve by cashing in the life insurance and getting a younger spouse that they were dating while married and jet setting to Europe.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
But you made his passing about you when you started the thread complaining about someone else doing what you just did.
It's not about me, I'm just sharing my views on Facebook attention whoes who do make it about them by not just posting for sympathy, but posting only on their page and not the person who passed page or their grieving partners page. When you post on someone else's page it shows up on your feed, so when you only post on your own you are just looking for attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning