Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:05 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

A friend passed away recently, he was only 51. So a mutual friend posts on his FB page instead of posting on the deceased person's page or their partner's page. They made it all about themselves and got a lot of responses with consolement. Mind you this person wasn't even good friends with this person, he just hung around him in parties or social gatherings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 08:20 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
for me it is look like you are not sad about your passed friend you are pissed about a mutual friend for posting on FB. Life is short and things happen.

Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
for me it is look like you are not sad about your passed friend you are pissed about a mutual friend for posting on FB. Life is short and things happen.
You are very wrong. I am very saddened. This person was my friend and it's a tragic loss. I just don't like someone else making it all about them. Sure you can post so your other friends who didn't know can send condolences, but post on the person's page who passed away, not just on your own.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
No one should denigrate your sadness at the loss of a friend.

As for the facebook person, there are some people in this world for whom everything is about them. They lack maturity and are self-centered. It happens. You just need to get past it. Unfriend or just don't look at facebook for a few days.

Sorry about your friend.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
No one should denigrate your sadness at the loss of a friend.

As for the facebook person, there are some people in this world for whom everything is about them. They lack maturity and are self-centered. It happens. You just need to get past it. Unfriend or just don't look at facebook for a few days.

Sorry about your friend.
Thanks, you are right it's immature to demand so much attention. He's not a bad guy, some people just don't realize how big their egos are.

I also think if a friend passed away you should refrain about posting other things for at least a week. I won't be posting political or humorous things out of respect for a while.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM

574 posts, read 376,605 times
I posted a letter to my wife on her facebook page. I actually got a phone call from a friend I have not seen in many years telling me to stop posting that stuff cause it made "him" feel bad.

I stopped posting altogether for awhile after that. And I expect to never hear from that person again.

I have come to the conclusion that there is just about nothing anyone can say to us, there are no words, that will ease our inner pain. What we get from these forums is the understanding that we are not unique and what we are feeling and struggling with is very similar to what everyone else has or is going through.

It is just part of our support network.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:49 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A friend passed away recently, he was only 51. So a mutual friend posts on his FB page instead of posting on the deceased person's page or their partner's page. They made it all about themselves and got a lot of responses with consolement. Mind you this person wasn't even good friends with this person, he just hung around him in parties or social gatherings.
How do you know how well he knew him? And what's wrong with him posting about his grief? People mourn in different ways.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I posted a letter to my wife on her facebook page. I actually got a phone call from a friend I have not seen in many years telling me to stop posting that stuff cause it made "him" feel bad.
That's unfair. He could choose to unfollow her until he is able. You should grieve in whatever way you need to.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
How do you know how well he knew him? And what's wrong with him posting about his grief? People mourn in different ways.
Because I was friends with the person who died and I knew who his other friends were, this person was more of an acquaintance and is looking for attention on Facebook. There is nothing wrong with his grief, but he did post about an event/rally he went to on Saturday, so he wasn't that shaken up.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:53 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times
Facebook is an exercise in malignant narcissism. Unfortunately many people measure their social and self worth through it and don't even realise they do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning