U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM

51,308 posts, read 50,558,025 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this has been addressed. I didn't see it in the first few pages, and I can't search the forum on the phone.

Has respect for the funeral proccession to the cemetery gone out the window? I attended a funeral yesterday, and we got cut off several times by cars who inserted themselves into the procession, after which we were held up at traffic lights and lost our place with the front of the procession. Fortunately, I knew the way to the cemetery, but the people behind me didn't. If they weren't behind me, they would have been lost.

Then when we got to the cemetery, the deceased's niece, who was in the last car, said "Now I've seen everything." As she went through a yellow traffic light, the car behind her threw on its hazards and high beams to make it appear as if they were part of the procession, and ran the red light.

But as to the people cutting off the procession--they can't wait a few seconds to let the procession pass whole? There were only about a dozen cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,771,998 times
I am afraid good old fashioned courtesy has gone it's way. AT this point in time I would be afraid to follow a funeral procession through a red light.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:01 AM

4,983 posts, read 5,458,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Has respect for the funeral proccession to the cemetery gone out the window?
In some places, yes. In other places, new drivers aren't taught to respect the processon and may not know what is expected of them.

I was in my 30s before I encountered a funeral procession. Most of the time I drove on the freeway!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,154,748 times
Funeral procession courtesy was observed in rural Minnesota and also here now in Arkansas.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 AM

51,308 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Funeral procession courtesy was observed in rural Minnesota and also here now in Arkansas.
Good to hear.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,841,671 times
Unless the law has changed (in Michigan) a funeral procession doesn't have to stop for red lights. The entire procession is allowed to go through, and everyone else is to stop.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM

22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
In some places, yes. In other places, new drivers aren't taught to respect the processon and may not know what is expected of them.

I was in my 30s before I encountered a funeral procession. Most of the time I drove on the freeway!
It wasn't on my list, but when I was teaching my son to drive, we encountered a funeral procession. It was really, really long. Since they were driving slowly, we sat threw 2 greens. We discussed it while waiting. Those people from out of town don't know where they're going. Some of my relatives are buried in the "get the wrong directions from the GPS" cemetery. Yes, we know why you were late.

Some people have, or seem to have, common sense. Someone taught them that common sense.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,252,569 times
I have not seen a funeral procession for years - at least 15, maybe more. I have actually been in two, but they were maybe 25-30 years ago. I think that they are so rarely seen, many people have no experience with them and don't know what its all about, let alone how to act. I think they should be respected, but if they become so rare that no one is educated about them, I think you can expect problems. Maybe its different in different parts of the country, and in some areas they are more common.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
I drive by a National Cemetery several times a year. People not only stop for the procession, many get out of their cars and stand silently to pay their respects.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM

9,352 posts, read 8,745,131 times
Several months ago while driving to the local grocery store, I and other drivers were stopped by police officers on motorcycles to allow those in the funeral procession to stay in line. The officers were also in the intersection to ensure that cross traffic waited as well.

I haven't ever seen people cutting in line and being disrespectful to a funeral procession; and hope I never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or