U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:47 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
My wife's father just passed and she has been shopping around for coffins. I just wanted to share that costco and walmart have coffin prices that are up to 1/3 of what the funeral homes are charging and they can deliver a coffin within 2 days.

Some funeral homes try to make it hard by playing games and making it hard to take delivery of the cheaper coffins but she called around and is finalizing the arrangements for the family.

I can't even bring myself to buy toiletries at Walmart, so I can't imagine buying a coffin - but it's a point well taken that even if you are more comfortable dealing with a funeral home, that they do traditionally steer people toward spending more money, so you have to be prepared not to be swayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
pardon me for chuckling .. walmart sells coffins ? can i get one on lay away ?
Only at Christmastime.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Status: "I'm late because I don't want to be here." (set 1 day ago)

986 posts, read 540,224 times
SWFL : There's a reason they call K-Mart "Came-Apart".

Last edited by earslikeacat; 02-14-2017 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: .

Old 02-14-2017, 11:01 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
My wife's father just passed and she has been shopping around for coffins. I just wanted to share that costco and walmart have coffin prices that are up to 1/3 of what the funeral homes are charging and they can deliver a coffin within 2 days.

Some funeral homes try to make it hard by playing games and making it hard to take delivery of the cheaper coffins but she called around and is finalizing the arrangements for the family.
Thank you. I've read something about this before, but couldn't remember the details. Urns are really expensive, too. You want how much?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:11 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If my family spent several thousand dollars on a coffin, then took it out and buried it, I would haunt them.
I have told them to go to Cowboy Coffins and get one of the plywood boxes they make. Inexpensive, and plenty good enough to bury.
Actually, it would be sufficient to wrap my body in canvas, but I suppose the VA and the military graveside guys that I am entitled to wouldn't like it...

If the funeral home does not like it that you plan to furnish your own coffin, find another service.

When I get the oil changed in my truck, I buy the 3 gallons of Delo 400 at Tractor Supply, and the NAPA Gold filter from the local NAPA store. The oil change shop where I normally trade does not have either product, so they let me bring it in. they are very careful to only put in 11 quarts and return the extra quart to me.
I don't need a box either, and my son changes my oil.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:17 PM

917 posts, read 274,841 times
Funeral companies definitely take advantage of the grieving where they can.
If one calls a funeral company for a quote, it will be considerably cheaper than the 'standard' cost.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 970,948 times
I wanna be buried in this.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:49 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,149,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Thank you. I've read something about this before, but couldn't remember the details. Urns are really expensive, too. You want how much?
Urns are not really expensive.

When my wife died I purchased a light blue ceramic urn shaped like a big ,rectangular shoe box.

At the wake, some people commented that it was beautiful ( her photo was in a folder sitting on top of it )

Cost $260 purchased at the funeral home

Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 PM

429 posts, read 248,356 times
Not to be a wiseacre but there is a difference in a coffin and a casket. If the difference doesn't matter than make the purchase that pleases.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,708,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyC View Post
Not to be a wiseacre but there is a difference in a coffin and a casket. If the difference doesn't matter than make the purchase that pleases.
thanks for the correction. The casket purchased was an 18gauge steel casket from the same company that the funeral homes use.

Walmart, costco et al are just resellers that take a smaller markup.

The funeral home did provide a price list up front which my wife picked and chose the services she wanted so there was no chance for extra price padding once they knew we were using our own casket.

Another funeral home made it hard by insisting on a family member to be present to take delivery and to dispose of the shipping materials but they lost the sale because my wife went to a more agreeable funeral home.

here's an FTC rule you can use for backup:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...c-funeral-rule

I spoke with a family friend who tried to go this route and the funeral home did in fact state that they would have to offer different pricing which resulted in a higher net funeral cost (despite no casket in pricing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning