Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times

Advertisements

I lost my mom in July and I dream about her almost every night. In my dreams nothing unusual or dramatic happens, she is just in the dream. Sometimes talking to me or just standing around. I feel comforted in some ways by these dreams because it's like I see her again, but then I am sometimes sad when I wake up because I know she is gone forever.

Is is common to dream of a mom or dad who has passed away? Has this happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I lost my mom in July and I dream about her almost every night. In my dreams nothing unusual or dramatic happens, she is just in the dream. Sometimes talking to me or just standing around. I feel comforted in some ways by these dreams because it's like I see her again, but then I am sometimes sad when I wake up because I know she is gone forever.

Is is common to dream of a mom or dad who has passed away? Has this happened to anyone else?
My Father passed away in 1978. I have had pleasant dreams about him at least once a week since his death. Other deceased family members visit me in my dreams on a regular basis.
GL2

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I am not speaking from a religious standpoint here, but from experience. They/we are not gone forever.
Anyway, I lived with my mother until she died. My father predeceased her and after he was gone, said goodbye to each of us. I tend not to remember dreams but awoke (and still do, sometimes) with that warm cozy feeling that she's just in the other room. It takes me a bit to remember that she died at those times.

Death counselors will sometimes advise people to write down their thoughts to their departed or to actually talk to them (when no one is around ).

I married since and we had to bury our beloved cat. That with THIS cat has left quite a gap in our lives. Mourning, to us, is selfish. It's a recognition of what's been taken away from US. The cat and mom and dad, are in a way better place.

Be glad that you still have her in your dreams. Be happy that she is happy where she is. Talk to her if you feel so inclined.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

I think it is common, Ulysses. We miss them and they are in the back of our minds, if not on our minds, and when we sleep our subconcious thinks of them too. Not only common, I think it's normal.

My mom had died but dad was still alive when I dreamt of both of them and distinctly heard my mother call my name as loud and clear as if she were right beside me. It's been 21 years now and I only occasionaly dream of her now. I've dreamt of Dad and my husband too. Dad was 9 years ago and hubby was 1 year next Saturday.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
I remember when my mother died, in 1991, I had a dream about her almost every single night for years.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Dream of both, despite many decades deceased.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
Had many dreams of my parents who died in 1989, but haven't had any in years. I also heard my dad call out my name, loudly, like he was trying to get my attention. seemed to be just as I was falling asleep at night.

My husband died 3 years ago, and I dream of him often. I talk to him, ask him questions about his death, dying, where he is, what it's like, and he answers all my questions. Other dreams are just fun, happy dreams. We're always younger in the dreams, and oftentimes, there are no children or grandchildren in the dreams. Just us.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Thanks to everyone for sharing, this is fascinating to me. It's amazing that some people dream of a deceased loved one decades after their passing. That seems comforting to me!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
I do this with my grandparents and another very close relative, it's sad, now I'm starting to tear up. Enough of that subject.
Sorry for your loss, it's never easy.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
2012 was not a good year for my family and me. My dad died September 12, 2012, after a long struggle with dementia and mobility problems. My youngest brother (the baby of the family) died one day short of his 54th birthday on May 27, 2012, and then his wife died on October 19th, 2012. My mom, my brother, and my husband and I are still coping with all three deaths. Some days are very difficult.

I haven't dreamed of any of them, but I think about all three of them daily. I just hope they are all in a much better place where there is no more suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning