U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
If you're the person dying:
One of the last gifts u can give ur family is to have pre-arranged ur funeral.
Another big gift u can leave them is to not need probate by having POD (payable on death) names on ALL
your accounts, and change real estate deed to Lady Bird Life Estate deed. Property stays yours but transfers upon death - no probate.
Not correct in all states. Different states have different laws. You need to look into this. My husband died in Texas, where probate is mandatory if there is any property. I agree that prearranging and planning is essential, and getting all things in order, but you have to check to see what is needed in your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
My brother passed away Friday, 2/17. I felt sad initially, and then that passed. We were not close, he chose to estrange himself from me and my mother (who has passed). I shed some tears as he had lots of medical issues from his childhood on and had a hard life because of them. He was on disability and his lifestyle was very restricted.

I have four cousins that I am not close too, and my son.

He is survived by his wife of 20 years who seems just la-di-da and not upset at all. I find that weird.
Maybe their marriage was less than perfect, like mine was. I miss my husband, but more for the security that he provided his family than his hot temper. He abused my respect for him and I rarely miss him until I pay the bills.

I recorded his outgoing voicemail message before I shut off his phone. Its hard to listen to it. Our kids don't know the recording exists. I hadn't listened to it for months until tonight.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:57 AM

208 posts, read 232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Not correct in all states. Different states have different laws. You need to look into this. My husband died in Texas, where probate is mandatory if there is any property. I agree that prearranging and planning is essential, and getting all things in order, but you have to check to see what is needed in your state.
I just looked up Texas and they do not require probate with a 'lady bird life estate deed'.
Another option to avoid probate if you know ur dying, is to add the beneficiary to the deed as joint tenant with right of survivorship..
Lawyers must hate google

Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
I just looked up Texas and they do not require probate with a 'lady bird life estate deed'.
Another option to avoid probate if you know ur dying, is to add the beneficiary to the deed as joint tenant with right of survivorship..
Lawyers must hate google
You might be right. I know that the trust we had in CA didn't apply when we moved to TX. We went to a lawyer as soon as we found out about my husband's illness. I had never heard of the "lady bird life estate deed" before your entry, but I can say that probate in Texas is not nearly such a process and is much cheaper than in California. I had no problem with selling my house, even though my husband's name was on the deed, after going through probate. Also, you can't open an estate account unless you have gone through probate (in Texas). An estate account is the only way you can cash checks that come to a deceased person. I had a couple of refund checks from insurance policies that ended with his death and owed him a refund. I tried to get the companies to issue the checks in my name, but they wouldn't, so I had to have an estate account. I still think it is always best to check out the laws about this in your state, as the laws do vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or