U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 AM

4,089 posts, read 5,504,645 times

Advertisements

When my Mom died, someone sent me $275 cash anonymously. I still have no idea who it was, although I thought I recognized the handwriting of an ex-boyfriend. Although he would have had no idea whether I needed the money (which I did). Anyway, it was wrapped up in white paper and I sure appreciated it.

Usually if I think someone could use the money, I send them a check (even if they ask for donations to charity). In the card, I tell them to use the money however it's needed. Some people list charities because it's considered kind of tacky to ask for donations to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 01:36 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,252,569 times
I received $50 cash from one person when my husband died. It may sound funny, but I had never even heard of sending cash to people after a loss. Since it came from someone at church, I even talked to my pastor about it, as it totally confused me. (It was right after my loss, and I was pretty confused about most everything.) I ended up donating it to the organization that I had designated and sending a thank you note saying that I had done that. I never would have kept it, as it seemed creepy to me to benefit financially from my husband's death. I now recognize that some people do need this, and this forum has actually educated me on this. I don't know why I didn't know about this (and I'm not young.) Perhaps it is partly because my church tradition is that memorial services don't cost anything unless you buy flowers for the church. In my case, the service was right before Christmas and the sanctuary was decorated with poinsettias, and I chose not to add anything to that. The memorial committee always provides the meal after, at no cost to me. I gave a voluntary donation to the church, but there was not "charge" to me for the service or lunch after. I know some people spend a lot of money on the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning