U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 AM

839 posts, read 959,844 times

Advertisements

Its just a little thing, but I remember some of the recipes we had growing up, and the way my Mom made them...to a point! I try to replicate, but there is something that I don't get right (i.e. cut of meat, spices, what variation of added veggies, etc.). My Mom wrote NOTHING down, and she just seemed like she would just add a bit of this, and a bit of that. She has been passed now for 3 years so I can't ask her. Do you ever find yourself wishing you can remember or wish you had the ability to ask for these thing even years after they are gone!

St. Patrick's Day is coming, and I liked my Mom's corned beef brisket, how she made it, and for the last three years I could not replicate her taste! Mine is just not as good! Same thing happened on New Years with my pork and sauerkraut. It was ok, but just not the same. She made holiday meals so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,576,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
Its just a little thing, but I remember some of the recipes we had growing up, and the way my Mom made them...to a point! I try to replicate, but there is something that I don't get right (i.e. cut of meat, spices, what variation of added veggies, etc.). My Mom wrote NOTHING down, and she just seemed like she would just add a bit of this, and a bit of that. She has been passed now for 3 years so I can't ask her. Do you ever find yourself wishing you can remember or wish you had the ability to ask for these thing even years after they are gone!

St. Patrick's Day is coming, and I liked my Mom's corned beef brisket, how she made it, and for the last three years I could not replicate her taste! Mine is just not as good! Same thing happened on New Years with my pork and sauerkraut. It was ok, but just not the same. She made holiday meals so well.
It's because it was made with Mother's love. I am sure your kids will think the same thing at some point. You had that bond with her that was your and hers only. Great memories.

I miss fishing with my dad. He would like up a cigarette and I can still smell the smoke and the way I liked the smell. No a smoker btw. I miss his little ways of talking to me that made me feel better when I had a bad day. Almost three years since he passed as well.

Old 03-11-2017, 03:39 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,843,263 times
Speaking of smoke, it is pipe tobacco that does it for me. I only like a wiff, and it reminds me of my grandpa. Not many people smoke a pipe these days, so I feel lucky when I do get to smell it.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:56 PM

4,867 posts, read 2,158,779 times
How true how those little things become the valued memories.
Yes a mother's cooking is nurturing. Which we long for when they depart.
Nothing compares to their ways....Embrace those times.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:09 PM

22,739 posts, read 21,795,564 times
It's those little things. My grandmother put sugar and cinnamon on the pie dough scraps. Mom fed me cabbage core. You had to be there.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's those little things. My grandmother put sugar and cinnamon on the pie dough scraps. Mom fed me cabbage core. You had to be there.
We did the same things! Mom would always give us a cup of broth when she was in the middle of making a wonderful soup. We used to get chunks of raw potato, too.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM

5,585 posts, read 4,793,203 times
I compare all stuffing to my Mom's. I don't think I am the only one. Haven't found anyone's that compares.

I wish I had those old recipes from my Mom, Aunts, and Grandmother. That side of the family could really cook and bake. Now I'm hungry.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 PM

I can do Mom's stuffing, but it's her GRAVY that can't be replicated.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 AM

866 posts, read 372,299 times
I have none of my parent's or my late wife's skills and knowledge so I just do the best I can WITHOUT comparing myself to anyone or kicking my self for missing or forgetting things. IMO, it is pointless self abuse to put myself up against another and come out a LOOSER. I am what I am and it's GOOD ENOUGH! Maybe I have few qualities that others don't have or maybe not but I am very definitely NOT going to abuse myself for not being as GOOD as so and so. Life is too short to feel less than anyone! I do my best and it's just GOOD ENOUGH!

Old 03-14-2017, 01:27 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,254,642 times
Two weeks ago I decided to make a cake I had made in 40 years, that was the recipe of my aunt when she was very young during the depression. This cake was a staple recipe all the years of my growing up and I LOVED it. Grandma made it all the time. So I made the cake from the original recipe and ..... is was very blah. My son and I both agreed that is was not much to brag about. So I tweeked the recipe - added a little more salt, a little more chocolate, and substituted brown for white sugar and VOILA - a great cake! I know that the original cake was pretty blah even when I was a kid because I remember saying that you have to think of cake differently when you eat this. But still, it was a family favorite. So the moral of this story to me is that the past and all its memories are not necessarily what you would want today. In addition, some of the recipes of the past are so unhealthy, I would not make them today. So my feeling is that we should keep the traditions of the past that resonate with us now, and for those that really don't work anymore, put them in a file and don't feel badly about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or