U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 01:30 PM

7,972 posts, read 6,725,053 times

Advertisements

Soon after my wife passed 11/15, two widow ladies in my neighborhood started delivering me casseroles with invites to come to their house for dinner. The prettier/younger of the two and I had clashed at a few homeowner meetings. She was the type that never had a good thing to say about anyone or anything thus I had no interest in her.The other was nice enough but I did not find her to be physically appealing to me. I was polite to both of them but I made it clear I had no interest. I passed it off as to soon in my life when the real reason was neither did it for me.

I just found out that within the last few months that both of them have remarried and each of them for the 3rd time. Mean time I limp on with a younger FWB but I do miss the casseroles..........LOL

Last edited by johngolf; 03-15-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 1,781,697 times
Ah; the Casserole Ladies!

I moved into the same house that my husband (who is 12 yrs older than I) grew up in. Many of the neighbors are the original homeowners from when the neighborhood was developed back in the 1950's.

Last year "Mrs. K" across the street became a widow; she is in her 80's & quite spry.

The next day I saw "Mr. & Mrs. B's" daughter standing on Mrs. K's porch with a casserole dish in hand.

About 6 months later there was several episodes of fire department responses to the house next door; "Mr. & Mrs. B" which appeared to be of the "fallen & couldn't get up" variety.

I'm the new kid on the block & didn't want to pry.

After the last of these occurences, I spotted "Mrs.K" carefully making her way across the street with a casserole dish covered with tinfoil in her hands & became alarmed. I asked my husband; since he has known these people since childhood to please inquire as to if "Mr & Mrs. B" were alright, soley based on the appearance of the casserole.

He thought I was being silly but said he would. Came back inside with a shocked look on his face & said "You were right; Mr. B passed away!"

The casserole never lies, I'm afraid.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,291,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Soon after my wife passed 11/15, two widow ladies in my neighborhood started delivering me casseroles with invites to come to their house for dinner. The prettier/younger of the two and I had clashed at a few homeowner meetings. She was the type that never had a good thing to say about anyone or anything thus I had no interest in her.The other was nice enough but I did not find her to be physically appealing to me. I was polite to both of them but I made it clear I had no interest. I passed it off as to soon in my life when the real reason was neither did it for me.

I just found out that within the last few months that both of them have remarried and each of them for the 3rd time. Mean time I limp on with a younger FWB but I do miss the casseroles..........LOL

I certainly hope every time I delivered a gift of food to a grieving family they didn't interpret it as an secret coded message that I wanted to sleep with them.

Ya know sometimes a casserole is just a casserole. It most likely had nothing to do with your tootsie role

Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM

41,022 posts, read 32,712,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

Your wife would be so proud.

You mean your benefits with your younger friend don't include casseroles? Can't you finagle a better deal than that?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 PM

39,092 posts, read 37,733,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I certainly hope every time I delivered a gift of food to a grieving family they didn't interpret it as an secret coded message that I wanted to sleep with them.

Ya know sometimes a casserole is just a casserole. It most likely had nothing to do with your tootsie role
Many times they do though. \_(ツ)_/

When my grandmother passed away, my grandfather was bombarded with casseroles, notes and phone calls from "widder women" within 3 counties near his Mississippi town. They were not at all shy about their intentions to "help him through this time," and they did not mean moral support

Old 03-16-2017, 03:46 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,841,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Many times they do though. \_(ツ)_/

When my grandmother passed away, my grandfather was bombarded with casseroles, notes and phone calls from "widder women" within 3 counties near his Mississippi town. They were not at all shy about their intentions to "help him through this time," and they did not mean moral support
"Go, Grandpa! Go, Grandpa! Go, Grandpa!" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning