U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 PM

4,879 posts, read 2,164,669 times

Advertisements

Both my company Co workers donated cash and a food tray for my family loss. My close relatives contributed voluntarily to the funeral cost. I spent days weeping and sending out thank you cards. So yes, in my area is common to donate .
Will agree the "call if you need anything" was quickly thwarted. Guess once the body was cold...So were some offers. Only two friends came thru when I needed help. That's two folks that mean well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 12:23 PM

711 posts, read 389,244 times
That's a really interesting question Dizzybint.

I do think a lot of it is timing and organization. When someone marries or has a baby, there are showers, registries, etc etc. When someone dies, especially if it's sudden there's obviously nothing planned. Often after the fact, you'll see requests for donations to a charity and there are occasionally requests for funds to help the family. Those requests though aren't seen by a lot of people. And if you're someone who didn't know the family or the person who passed really well, you may not be aware that a donation would be welcomed.

Personally, I'd much rather give money to a family member or to a fund to help the family rather than buy flowers.

I confess that I've done the "call if you need anything" statement - particularly for someone I don't know really well. It's hard to tell sometimes what someone might need and I hate to feel intrusive. For those I do know better though I do take the initiative and do the things that I know would be helpful.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:49 PM

4,316 posts, read 2,159,491 times
A great way of helping was in my church's .......funeral lunch program

At the beginning of the year, you pay your dues ......$15 covers family.......$7.50 individual.

You don't have to join but nearly everyone does.

The members are divided into 4 or 6 groups.
The groups rotate on who is expected to help work/cook at the funeral luncheon after the funeral. ( usually in church basement or cafeteria area)

All food is paid for by the dues except for the main meat. All food is prepared in the kitchen at the church
Group members bring deserts.

Afterwards, the area is cleaned by that group, dishes are washed, and any left over food is sent home with the immediate family.

It really made it easy after my wife died.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:10 PM

14,531 posts, read 11,520,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My husband just passed away. Funerals are expensive and for the most part the funeral homes want the money up front and not wait for insurance.

One of the nicest things I received was a card from a friend with a $100 bill inside and a note telling me to do something for myself, dinner, manicure just do something for me.

I was fortunate where I wasn't in need of the money but thought it very nice.
a lovely thoughtful person... I always think of someone having to worry about paying for food or whatever at a funeral , as if they dont have enough to worry them..

Old 03-24-2017, 01:27 PM

13,135 posts, read 17,679,712 times
my co workers mother passed and the company donated a thousand dollars to the employee to do whatever with and they also gave her two weeks bereavement . now this is not normal I know because when my first husband passed I got two hundred dollars all together and that went to pay for school clothes for the following year of school ,

Old 03-24-2017, 01:30 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,257,158 times
People DO give gifts. We got a lot of food delivered to our home for months, the church made the memorial dinner as part of the service (volunteer food and serving), I had many offers of help around the house and my subsequent moving, and took people up on it sometimes. I had free counseling through the Stephen Ministry at church, I had neighbors who did a lot of small jobs for me until I got on my feet, etc. Gifts do not have to be tied up with a ribbon or in an envelope. To me the most meaningful gifts caring, time and effort.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:44 PM

27,647 posts, read 17,699,238 times
Money is given in the cards for funerals here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-24-2017, 02:07 PM

974 posts, read 532,967 times
This is very interesting as in my family I have never heard of money given at a funeral, even having lived in several states up and down the East coast. Friends and neighbors would bring food and mow the lawn, etc.

My MIL mentioned money once for a more distant relative (widow) and I thought it would be insulting to her. Glad to hear another side of the coin.

I have heard of a charity named in lieu of flowers. My father wanted no money requested for anything as he just didn't like the idea of suggesting a money contribution. Instead he asked that his obit say if someone wanted to remember him, they could do a good deed or favor for another person.

I learn a lot on this forum!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:19 PM

28,570 posts, read 2,219,470 times
When my Aunts first husband died, many of her Chinese neighbors gave her money. She did not need it, but it was the custom, she lived in a Chinese heavy area( in San Francisco). But she did appreciate it. Many times a charity is named in lieu of flowers. I have my favorite charity named instead of flowers for my death. I would be happy to donate money instead of a charity if that was the family wish.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:27 PM

22,767 posts, read 21,813,668 times
Putting cash in a card was common where I grew up--Northeastern PA. If you couldn't manage that, you gave some sort of food or ran errands, did chores.

Even when you think you're prepared, you're not always prepared.

When my son was born, my father and mother-in-law paid for a Polish Women's Alliance of America life insurance policy for him. Paid up from the get go. That money won't go very far these days, but it's something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or