U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 12:51 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,606,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
And this is something that the mere thought of terrified me as a child.

She was supposed to be discharged from the Rehab facility she had been in for a week and a half following a week & a half in the hospital & ICU.

My dad went to go bring her home … And found the ambulance, FD & PD rushing around by her room. And she was gone.

My beautiful mother is gone.

I was a difficult to love child, the schools told her I was “retarded” & she refused to accept it. She demanded I be retested with a different test & when they noted that I was reading at the level of of a HS graduate (in the 2nd grade) they said “Well; she’s not retarded but there is something wrong with her!”

Later as an adult, at her insistence, I was tested & found to be ASD.

She told me everyday that I was brilliant but never told me I was pretty.

Truth is; I actually was pretty but not brilliant. Years later she told me her goal was to raise a girl into an independent woman & that would be achieved if I had more confidence in my brain than in my looks. She said “People used to tell me what a beautiful little girl I had all the time; I didn’t want you to get a fat head & think you didn’t have to work for anything.”

When she started Kindergarten in the Denver public schools, she didn’t even speak English. But she graduated at the age of 16 & went on to become a Biochemist (PhD), Registered Dietician & Professor. Fluent in 3 languages.

She’s a tough act to follow. I miss my mom.
I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom sounds like she was the perfect mom for you. She knew how to insist on your behalf. She knew she had a beautiful girl and she set a wonderful example for you and modeled excellence in so many tough areas of life. It's so hard to lose a wonderful mom; I know.

I will be remembering you and your family in my prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM

2,638 posts, read 678,392 times
What a wonderful post. Finding the best in our loved ones is hard to do sometimes, but so very important. No one is perfect. Sounds like your mom had a wonderful daughter. That alone will have made her life worth every second. Part of her lives on through you.

I lost my mom this year and as time passes I remember more and more of the details that made her a unique person. I remember less and less of her illness. I think it's great when we can keep a part of them alive with conversation.

My thoughts will be with you and thanks for sharing.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:29 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,389,556 times
Quote:
She told me everyday that I was brilliant...Years later she told me her goal was to raise a girl into an independent woman & that would be achieved if I had more confidence in my brain than in my looks..

Your mother sounds amazing. That was a wonderful gift (above) that she gave you. She really loved you and believed in you.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:35 PM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Coschristi I am so sorry for your loss. Your mother sounds like she was a very special woman who raised a very special daughter from what I can tell from your posts.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:46 PM

448 posts, read 303,665 times
Deepest sympathies and best wishes.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM

3,996 posts, read 1,774,084 times
My thanks, to each & every one of you; it took my breath away to check this thread & see all of your responses.

My dad; I have to be strong for my dad. He was the best husband a woman could ever hope for & she was his life. They just had their 50th anniversary in October & his first words to me were “What will I do without her? She was my sweetie-pie. … “

My youngest son, age 13 & severely Autistic, was with me when I rushed to the Rehab facility but he couldn’t be left alone in the hallway. He calmly walked to his grandmother’s body & placed his hands over her heart & said “You gave me jellybeans. I will see you again when I die.”

He can’t even tell me if if his head hurts, or ask me for help if something isn’t working right. Where that clarity of thought & speech came from I’ll never know. He was so special to her.

Thank you all, again.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:12 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,606,791 times
Quote:
My thanks, to each & every one of you; it took my breath away to check this thread & see all of your responses.

My dad; I have to be strong for my dad. He was the best husband a woman could ever hope for & she was his life. They just had their 50th anniversary in October & his first words to me were “What will I do without her? She was my sweetie-pie. … “

My youngest son, age 13 & severely Autistic, was with me when I rushed to the Rehab facility but he couldn’t be left alone in the hallway. He calmly walked to his grandmother’s body & placed his hands over her heart & said “You gave me jellybeans. I will see you again when I die.”

He can’t even tell me if if his head hurts, or ask me for help if something isn’t working right. Where that clarity of thought & speech came from I’ll never know. He was so special to her.

Thank you all, again.
Oh, my! You brought me to tears.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:03 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Oh, my! You brought me to tears.
Me too!

Old 03-27-2017, 07:04 PM

3,263 posts, read 2,838,518 times
I lost my mom a couple years ago. I still find things to tell her. She was my best friend.

We are both so lucky and blessed to have wonderful moms.

HUGS.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 6,869,998 times
Quote:

Thank you all, again.
Yes, this pretty much made me cry.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know words cannot bring your mother back, but my god how sad!! HUGSSS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning