U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:09 AM

3,996 posts, read 1,776,085 times

Advertisements

And this is something that the mere thought of terrified me as a child.

She was supposed to be discharged from the Rehab facility she had been in for a week and a half following a week & a half in the hospital & ICU.

My dad went to go bring her home … And found the ambulance, FD & PD rushing around by her room. And she was gone.

My beautiful mother is gone.

I was a difficult to love child, the schools told her I was “retarded” & she refused to accept it. She demanded I be retested with a different test & when they noted that I was reading at the level of of a HS graduate (in the 2nd grade) they said “Well; she’s not retarded but there is something wrong with her!”

Later as an adult, at her insistence, I was tested & found to be ASD.

She told me everyday that I was brilliant but never told me I was pretty.

Truth is; I actually was pretty but not brilliant. Years later she told me her goal was to raise a girl into an independent woman & that would be achieved if I had more confidence in my brain than in my looks. She said “People used to tell me what a beautiful little girl I had all the time; I didn’t want you to get a fat head & think you didn’t have to work for anything.”

When she started Kindergarten in the Denver public schools, she didn’t even speak English. But she graduated at the age of 16 & went on to become a Biochemist (PhD), Registered Dietician & Professor. Fluent in 3 languages.

She’s a tough act to follow. I miss my mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 11:19 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,398,023 times
I'm sorry for your loss but you will always remember what a special woman she was and how she nurtured you to become special. You are her legacy.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:51 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
So sorry that you've lost your Mom, such a profound loss.

She sounds like a very strong woman. You must be very proud of her, and you may be just as strong and resilient.

I know this is a loss that hurts down to your soul. I have been there. Grief takes as long as it takes.

I hope that you have family and friends to talk to right now. And that you and your father help each other. Reach out here too, good supportive folks on this forum.

Sending you prayerful thoughts and support.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM

4,099 posts, read 3,388,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
<snip> She’s a tough act to follow. I miss my mom.
Sincere condolences cc, sincerely, may she rest in peace. Grieve her loss as long as you need to.

I am sure your mother is proud of who you've become and grown into as a woman, regardless of her own accomplishments.

In all probability you will always miss your mom. My mother is gone 26 years now and it feels like I miss her every single day.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:36 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times
Peace and blessings be with you now. I remember the day it happened to me. And as a child I was devastated when I learned that people die, and my Mom would too. Be kind to yourself and take your time to grieve.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:04 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,062,113 times
She does sound special. Bless you as you deal with the loss

Old 03-26-2017, 02:40 PM

169 posts, read 172,124 times
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I'm sending prayers and support to you.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:43 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Devastating.
I'm sorry.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 3,298,927 times
So sorry for you loss. She was certainly special as a mother and in many other ways also.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,881,352 times
I am so sorry. Those of us with wonderful mothers feel your pain.

When my mom died I couldn't understand how the world kept turning and people went about their day. I miss my mom every day and I know I always will.

You will get through this but it is no fun. Sending you a big hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning