Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:05 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times

Advertisements

My mom was 84 years old, and was suffering with dementia. We got a call early Wednesday morning that her health was rapidly decreasing, urging us to come to her if we wanted to see her while she was still alive. We live about 3 hours away by car, and as soon as we got that call, we were on our way to see her.

Some 3+ hours later we arrived to find her resting comfortably and not in any pain. We got a hotel room, and spent the night. The next couple of days, we were in and out to see her throughout the day, along with constant updates from the hospice nurses and doctors.

Friday morning we got to see mom early, and the nurse came in to get her vitals. Her BP had declined, temp raised, pulse was raised a lot (120+) and her skin had began to mottle. The nurse said that she'd be surprised if she would last through the weekend, and she could tell how upsetting that was for me. I told her that I wanted to make sure she wasn't suffering and she told me that she'd stop by on her way home at 5:30 - to ensure she wasn't in any pain.

They say that the dying have all senses up until death, with hearing being the last to go. This means mom heard all that - now knowing that she'd be by at 530. We left for a couple of hours, and I got some much needed rest. At 5:00 we headed back to see my mom and the nurse, and we got in the car for a 10 minute drive.

My wife drove, as I was the passenger. I went to turn the radio on, but not the car radio. For reasons I still can't explain, I picked up my phone and turned on the XM App on my phone. I don't EVER use that app when in that car - I usually just hit an FM station as there are dozens in the city - so that still remains a mystery as to why I did that... or is it?

The song that started to play was, 'Knocking On Heavens Door'... by Bob Dylan. I've always liked that song, but found it WAY ironic to be hearing it now, under these circumstances. My wife and I both looked at each other with coffee cup saucer sized eyes, and laughed about the irony as we drove to see mom.

I went to put the phone down and got a text message from our pastor of a church we used to attend when we lived in Atlanta. He was texting me telling me he heard that my mom wasn't doing very well, that he would pray for her and if we needed anything from him to let him know; all the things nice people say when a friends family member is ill. I put the phone down and listened to the rest of the song.

The last note played and almost scripted, my phone rang. It was the personal care home calling to tell me that my mom just took her last breath. I've cried a few (hundred) tears since then missing my mom, but at that moment, I looked up at the sky and outwardly said, 'Thank you Jesus, I hear you've got my mom... Please tell her I love her and take great care of her like I know You will'...

What more can I ask for? My mom's in heaven and my God's given me the sign. My name might be Thomas, but I'm no doubter...

God is great, every day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
It almost disappoints me that nobody has commented on this post... it's been seen by well over 80 people - without a single follow-up... doesn't seem possible.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:21 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
The story brought tears to my eyes. I'm just now seeing it as I don't frequent this forum. I so believe in these kinds of "coincidences". God Bless You and your Mom. And yep, he's taking real good care of her. She's probably laughing at me, a complete stranger, typing with wet eyes!

Old 04-06-2017, 12:47 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,184,355 times
First time I've seen this too. I also got misty-eyed. Thank you for sharing this story. At times, it seems as if we do receive signs from above from those we have loved. It has happened to me too. My condolences on the loss of your mother.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Sincere condolences Thomas and family/loved ones.

Best regards,

Home...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
God speaks to us in many ways. Condolences and blessings.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Thank you for sharing that story. May your memories of your mother be a blessing to you.

No such thing as coincidence.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
God Bless. I only lost my husband last month and first time I read this post was too choked up to respond.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:36 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,299 times
I had such a coincidence too when my mother died a year ago. Your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:34 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF
What more can I ask for? My mom's in heaven and my God's given me the sign. My name might be Thomas, but I'm no doubter...

God is great, every day!
Im so sorry TUMF!!!!

YES MOM will always be looking in on you,she loved you so much!!

Peace and love to you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning