U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,925,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post

I try to stay positive each day, and strong so that I am able to think and try to plan ahead, to secure my and our beautiful boy kitty-cat Acey's future.
He is my darling, my Love and more important to me than my own Life.

I'm just not sure that I can...

I'm a verrrry independent and active 65 yr old, with nothing wrong with me health wise, and need no help doing anything.

I am so sorry for your loss...it's devastating in many ways. I'm ten years further down the road than you are and let me say that things will eventually get better. I was married more than half my life so it is a huge change. You have multiple things going on and might not be thinking clearly because of the shock and loss. Take things slow. Get help if you need it. There are grief support groups almost everywhere.

There are a lot of things staring you in the face. Your first priority is to be safe and secure in a place to live. That might mean moving into a 55+ apartment but maybe not. You probably have a lot of stuff that can't make the move so think about what is essential. Being independent is a plus but maybe you could rely on family or some friends to help with the move. It seems to me that men "deal" with loss first by being busy or active -- channel that in a positive way because there will be days or weeks when you don't feel like doing anything. I missed having someone to bounce ideas off of...to get a second opinion (or a woman's perspective) and to just talk things out and eventually procrastination set in.

You need a social outlet -- eventually -- beyond the internet. I didn't know how to make friends because my wife did that. It took a while but I learned to say "yes" instead of "no" in social situations...joining or accepting an invitation. People generally want to help but don't know how. Some of those 55+ places help with that and there are other options. I joined a bocce club and a hiking group and made a bunch of new friends -- at no cost.

I was financially able to stay in my house but I eventually decided to move and relocated to a place I always wanted to live and reinvented my life. My cat's name is Archie, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,168,366 times
CT - my condolences on the loss of your wife.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:33 AM

4,240 posts, read 3,033,996 times
My sincere condolences to you.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:37 AM

34,605 posts, read 42,768,368 times
So sorry CT. I would hate to see you make a rash decision, and move to a new place, where you have no connections or support group.
Is there a friend or clergy person who is not in a fog of grief who would do some research for you? Every state has subsidized housing, both senior and otherwise.
Try to find a place nearby, at least for a year, so you don't make any impulsive decisions that you will regret.

Here is a place to start...http://www.lowincomehousing.us/CT.html

Old 04-23-2017, 10:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,292,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
My condolences. Have you contacted social security to inquire about widowers benefits. You ARE entitled to a portion of your late wife's SS. Please do that on Monday before making any other decisions.

I'd also STRONGLY recommend a bereavement support group. The funeral home or a local hospice group can direct you.
ONLY if her payment was more than his- he would get the difference added to his, if it was less- it's gone. period.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM

20,654 posts, read 15,452,059 times
OP, my condolences on your loss and the need to uproot and go elsewhere.

I notice that you have befriended Submariner from Maine on here. He's a good friend to have, and if you want to move to Maine, he's filled with information.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:03 PM

8,196 posts, read 7,481,935 times
I'm so sorry for your loss! Heartbreaking!

Since you say you are in great shape and independent, what about a part time job? That would certainly help you with your finances and just 20 hours a week at $10 an hour would almost cover her part of the rent and you would not have to move.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 04-23-2017, 12:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 3,125,402 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM

28,373 posts, read 2,213,490 times
I am so sorry for your loss. "Love is eternal"

Old 04-23-2017, 12:32 PM

282 posts, read 225,778 times
Default Yes, I got a portion of my late wife's SSI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
ONLY if her payment was more than his- he would get the difference added to his, if it was less- it's gone. period.

Yes, hello,

My Late Wife's SSI monthly check was $1222. Mine is $737. I get an additional $431/month, bringing my total monthly total to $1158/mo.
This is DOWN $962/mo.
We used to receive a total of $2120/month.

So, I'll be living on just $1158/month.

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning