U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 AM

12,928 posts, read 24,052,828 times

Advertisements

Sorry for your loss.
I am surprised your wife's ring isn't too small for your right hand, unless maybe the pinky finger.
You do whatever brings you some comfort,you don't need anyone's approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:18 AM

4,111 posts, read 3,447,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I wear my late wife's ring's and my wedding ring on a chain around my neck. I gave the rest of her jewelry to her sister and her daughter, my niece.
This warmed my heart.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,436,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwannabe View Post

Whatever is comfortable for you. I am not sure when to stop wearing my wedding ring, almost 6 months. My widowed friends say about a year. I sleep with my husbands robe, arm of it across me. Gives me comfort, so I feel what brings you peace and comfort, is okay. I will know when I need to determine when and if to let go of things. I know I will always have the memories.
According to Miss Manners, there is NO rule that one must stop wearing a wedding ring if their spouse is deceased. If there were such a rule, it would be cruel.

If the widow(er) decides they want to start dating, then that would be the only time that such a rule would apply.

My grandmother continued to wear her ring for decades after my grandfather's death. She wasn't interested in dating or remarrying.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM

4,810 posts, read 5,436,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5770 View Post

My wife passed on November 22nd last year after 7 years of declining health issues and 58 years of a very happy marriage. This month is the sixth month off her passing. My question is do you think it is okay for me to wear her diamond wedding ring on my right hand? I feel by wearing it she feels close to me. I have no intention of taking my wedding ring off my left hand as it has remained there 24/7 since the day we married.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Bob
Wear it.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:09 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
I'm sorry for your loss OP! I think there is nothing wrong with wearing it! Wear it proud!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 AM

5,098 posts, read 2,915,584 times
At ten years I still wear my ring on my left hand and I'm happy with that. Occasionally I consider taking it off or switching it to my right hand but I would have to get it cut off because it won't go over my knuckle anymore and that seems too invasive and wrenching to do and than it would have to be resized. One ring is enough for me.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 PM

142 posts, read 57,492 times
I am only married for 5 years and I don't usually wear my ring. I just am not used to jewelry really. While my husband when he takes off I get mad and nag him to wear it, which he always say - why? You never wear yours.

My parents were married literally till death do they part when my mom passed. But I honestly don't see them wearing wedding rings. My bros, I never seen them wear rings, both divorced now. My sisters, all of whom married more than 2 decades, when they lost they ring or got too small, they did not wear it anymore.

I actually ask one of my sis where her wedding ring is she said, no idea, don't care.

I guess we're a family that don't care about rings.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM

3,962 posts, read 5,248,587 times
I agree that you should do whatever seems right to you. There are as many variations on what to do with rings as there are people. We never got my husband a ring, and I was always fine with that. The ring doesn't make the marriage. I wore one, but had to take it off when I was doing so many medical procedures with him (infection risk.) Since his death I have gone on and off. What ever feels right is what we should all do.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,243,339 times
You wear that ring as long as you want .
I am very sorry for your loss .

Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,289,813 times
Sorry for your loss as well OP,

As others have stated wear your ring as long as you are comforted by it, but as far as wearing your wife's diamond ring on your right hand? sorry- I just can't picture it under any circumstances- but that's just me.

If it was a simple gold band than it would be fine but a man wearing a delicate diamond ring? sorry- no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or