U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,402,971 times

Advertisements

I think you should absolutely wear that ring and do whatever else brings you comfort. My heart goes out to you and I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved. Wear that ring and let it bring you some peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
I don't like the idea. Wearing a woman's ring will not help get through the grieving process. It might make it last forever.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 PM

1,868 posts, read 1,039,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5770 View Post
My wife passed on November 22nd last year after 7 years of declining health issues and 58 years of a very happy marriage. This month is the sixth month off her passing. My question is do you think it is okay for me to wear her diamond wedding ring on my right hand? I feel by wearing it she feels close to me. I have no intention of taking my wedding ring off my left hand as it has remained there 24/7 since the day we married.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Bob
Bob, my condolences on the loss of your wife.

As for the ring, my only concern is that it would be too small and might fall off your finger..

If wearing her ring makes you feel closer to her and brings you comfort, then wear it. Whether you choose to wear it on your finger, left hand, right hand, around your neck or even as a nose ring that's your choice.

Just a suggestion because I'm afraid it might fall off your hand.. perhaps you could go to a jeweler and see if they can be combined into one ring?

Old 05-15-2017, 06:43 PM

345 posts, read 149,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I wear my late wife's ring's and my wedding ring on a chain around my neck. I gave the rest of her jewelry to her sister and her daughter, my niece.
I vote for this solution.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM

18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
My mom wears my dad's ring on a chain, it would be too large for her. If your wife's ring fits your hand and is comfortable and that's where you want to wear it, then don't let anyone tell you no. But if the size is an issue, wearing on a chain is also a good option.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:00 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
Bob5770 - do what makes YOU happy and brings you comfort. Make it a pinky ring, put it on a chain around your neck, whichever you prefer.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:53 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
My wife died this Monday. I am wearing her wedding band (she didn't want an engagement ring) on a fairly long chain around my neck where it will stay close to my heart until the day I join her. She was 68 and I'm 70 so perhaps it won't be long and I'm fine with that.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife died this Monday. I am wearing her wedding band (she didn't want an engagement ring) on a fairly long chain around my neck where it will stay close to my heart until the day I join her. She was 68 and I'm 70 so perhaps it won't be long and I'm fine with that.
Our sincerest sympathies for your loss.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:38 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,739,165 times
I say, wear your ring/s however you want. If you want them on a chain, that's fine. If you want to wear her ring on your right hand, that's fine, too! Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's on your terms, it's your choice, and not something you're doing because someone else told you what to do. My husband passed away 7 1/2 years ago, suddenly and unexpectedly, and I still wear my wedding bands just as I did when we were married, on my left hand. My diamond was my grandmother's and I cherish it, and the story of how my husband acquired the diamond.

I live alone, but I'm not lonely. I volunteer in my community, I have hobbies, I'm in a book club, so I've created a full life as a widow. Whether you wear her rings, your rings, or a combination of both, or nothing at all, just make sure you're doing what you want.

As my hippie generation used to say, "If it feels good and right, it is, so just do it".

Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 AM

876 posts, read 521,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob5770 View Post
My wife passed on November 22nd last year after 7 years of declining health issues and 58 years of a very happy marriage. This month is the sixth month off her passing. My question is do you think it is okay for me to wear her diamond wedding ring on my right hand? I feel by wearing it she feels close to me. I have no intention of taking my wedding ring off my left hand as it has remained there 24/7 since the day we married.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Bob
I was widowed suddenly 16 years ago when I was 44 and my husband was 49. My late husband had very narrow fingers and his wedding band easily fits on my right ring finger which I wear along with my own wedding band on that same finger. I have also been in a committed relationship for the last 14 years which my SO gave me a beautiful diamond and ruby ring which I wear on my left ring finger. I feel very comfortable in how I wear my rings, and my SO has no issue with me still wear mine and my late husband's wedding bands as he is pretty secure in our relationship which now is almost as long as the years I was married to my late husband. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable as there are no rules in place for this.

Very sorry for you loss. My husband also died in November on the 29th which that year was two days after Thanksgiving, and even all these years later it is still a tough holiday for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or