U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:01 AM

9,370 posts, read 8,446,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I still think about my 5 yr old nephew who had only 5 yrs of life. Killed on his bike which was a christmas gift. He would be in his 30's today. We all have memories of loved ones. I've lost my share and recently my 68 sister to MS. She was a good friend and sister.
A lot of it has to do with age and circumstances. My Dad recently died and I do miss him, but he was sick and it was his time. An 80 year old dying will have a much different effect than a young person just entering the prime of life. I doubt a tragedy is ever fully forgotten. But old age will kill us all and whether that is 70 for some or 100 for others its part of the cycle of life and I'd venture to guess time always heals that wound unless you refuse to allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM

306 posts, read 163,552 times
Indeed it does not.

On August 18 1991, I lost my Grandpa who was like a father to me.
On Feburary 26 1992 I lost my Grandma, his wife, who was like a second mom.
On April 22, 2003 I lost my actual mom, their daughter.

Every year since, I dread those three dates. I try to distract myself on those three days by doing something I like, but it doesn't always work.

This is something everybody alive can relate too. It's a hell of a thing to have in common though, isn't it?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM

75 posts, read 24,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Yesterday marked 20 years since my uncle passed. I woke up with a lump in my throat and I wasn't sure why I felt so off and then I saw the date. I think about him often but every year on the anniversary of his death, I feel like I'm transported back to that day and its almost as if I experience it all again. It sucks.
Anyone else feel like you just get used to the void but that time does not fill it or heal it?
We humans are made that way; and we recall things, whether good or bad; and it can be sublime or wrenching. I don't have an encouraging homily to toss out, and platitudes only make things worse.
You can pray and hope, but you will always miss him, and it will always hurt. It's just that prayer will help you live your days out, and not be tormented so much.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:07 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,327,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
Indeed it does not.

On August 18 1991, I lost my Grandpa who was like a father to me.
On Feburary 26 1992 I lost my Grandma, his wife, who was like a second mom.
On April 22, 2003 I lost my actual mom, their daughter.

Every year since, I dread those three dates. I try to distract myself on those three days by doing something I like, but it doesn't always work.

This is something everybody alive can relate too. It's a hell of a thing to have in common though, isn't it?
August 18 1991: The date my mother died in 1989.

February 26 1992: Right in between my father's birth date in 1920 in January and his death date in March 1991

April 22, 2003: My mother's birth date in 1922.

Interesting! I "celebrate" the dates of the birthdays as an homage to my parents just as I will tomorrow, Father's Day..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning