U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 5,416,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
After two family deaths, I have a closet full of photos. I never look thru them and have no one to
leave them to. I have no desire to scan them to a USB I'll never look at... Do you regret discarding them or did it help to move on?
Don't throw them out.

I have boxes of old photos. My late mother was an avid photographer. She only had a Vintage Box Camera Kodak Brownie 116 Film Camera with Lens
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1235466...FQkQaQodbnoNAg that my grandfather bought for her

I have pictures of my whole family. Still look through them every once in a while

BTW, my son has the camera in his antique camera collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,507,794 times
I have 38 years' worth of photos, faithfully put in albums starting when my son was born. So I have about a dozen albums. After my Mom died five years ago, I lost interest in getting new photos developed and putting them into albums, especially since they're all on Facebook or our phones now. I don't know what will happen to the albums when I die....my son won't want them and I have no siblings. Kind of why I don't go to the trouble of putting new ones in albums.

As for older photos from my parents' days, I went through them a few weeks ago and got rid of the ones where I didn't know anyone or it was just a pic of the Christmas tree or whatever. Again, don't know what will become of them when I'm gone.

The old pics do come in handy though -- a couple examples: 1) I posted a pic on FB of my Mom's brother, who was killed in a railroad accident in 1941...I see his face in so many of the kids in our younger generations of cousins...the family genes are strong! 2) In honor of my 50th H.S. reunion, I posted on FB some pictures of us girls in high school...they had never seen them before and loved them! 3) A friend posted a pic of her Mom in the 40's and I said I had a very similar pic of my Mom in the same outfit...went and found it and posted on FB.

So I say, get rid of people you don't know or Christmas tree pics (LOL), but keep everything else and let someone else worry about it when you're gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning